The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkey all-in-one internet application suite. Such a software suite was previously made popular by Netscape and Mozilla, and the SeaMonkey project continues to develop and deliver high-quality updates to this concept. Containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client with an included web feed reader, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users.
Under the hood, SeaMonkey uses much of the same Mozilla source code which powers such successful siblings as Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, Sunbird and Miro. Legal backing is provided by the Mozilla Foundation.
- Tabbed browsing gives you a better way to surf the net. You no longer have to open one page at a time. With tabbed browsing, open several pages at once with one click. Plus, your homepage can be multiple pages, in tabs. And if you mistakenly close a tab or window, functionality to Undo Closed Tab or Window helps you bring it back to continue working with it.
- SeaMonkey’s powerful Add-ons Management provides almost infinite possibilies to extend your Internet experience both through installing additional functionality created by others and even freely developing your own extensions and providing them to the rest of the SeaMonkey community.
- Feed detection notifies you when web pages offer RSS or Atom feeds, and feed preview lets you view their contents and choose a reader with which to subscribe to those – including an internal reader in the Mail & Newsgroups component of SeaMonkey.
- Smart Location Bar enables you to search your visited web pages right when typing in the browser’s location bar and finding what you want to re-visited as fast as possible by learning which pages you visit frequently.
- Popup blocker lets you surf the web without interruption from annoying ads.
- Image Manager lets you block images to remove offensive images or speed up the rendering of web sites.
- Find as you type gives you another way to navigate a page. Just start typing to jump from link to link or to find a word or phrase within a page.
- Session restore brings back all your open windows and tabs after the rare occasion that SeaMonkey crashes – and if you wish even when you close and reopen the browser or restart your computer.
- Plus all the features a modern browser should have including: Advanced security settings; Password, Download, and Cookie managers; Web form autocompletion; Themes; toolbar customization; multi-language and multi-platform support; and the latest in Web Standards.