Sunbelt Personal Firewall used to be called the Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF). Kerio was going to discontinue it, but Sunbelt acquired it from Kerio to save the product from "going under". We needed a new name, and changed ‘KPF’ into the new ‘SPF’ (so much for software geeks being creative…)
Basically, a firewall is a program that protects one computer from other computers. It examines information that tries to enter a computer from an outside source (i.e. the internet), and determines if the information is safe or harmful.
What’s New In The Latest Version?
The biggest addition is support for Vista 32 bit (with 64 bit support on the roadmap). However, there have been a lot of under-the-hood improvements in many areas. These include:
* Significant improvement in network performance
* Significant improvement in packet filtering
* Enhanced Process Injection prevents code injection attempts into Windows
* Numerous stability issues corrected in the firewall service
* Significant improvement in overall product stability
* Updated Intrusion Detection rules
* Updated translation files for multiple languages