Most importantly, from a user perspective, Jetpack will allow new features to be added to the browser without a restart or compatibility issues, resulting in little to no disruption to the online experience.
As with all Mozilla Labs initiatives, Jetpack is an open source project and everyone is welcome to participate in its design, development & experimentation.
New in this version:
- Initial Jetpack APIs with support for statusbars, tabs, content-scripts, animations, and more.
- Support for external API libraries (e.g. Twitter)
- jQuery support
- Integrated development environment with Bespin, with immediate installs and a fast development cycle
- Inline debugging with Firebug
- This initial release of the Jetpack API does not include a fully formed security model. It is being released for testing, development, and feedback.