Tracking is a method for computer music almost as mature and time-honoured as MIDI. Sometimes better, sometimes not so – always different. Tracking has to date been the remit of dedicated underground [freeware] software called "Trackers", particular examples of which (eg. Fast Tracker, Impulse Tracker) have almost acrued cult-status with multi-million strong user-bases. The integration of the Tracker architecture (notably its User Interface*) in sequencer software, will bring the best of both worlds to the composer.
- User Interface reViSiT inherits and extends the fast and powerful interface of Impulse Tracker 2 – allowing everything to be done with but few strokes of the PC keyboard, while adding an enlarged and graphical interface with extended mouse support.
- VST Host Playback Sync Like all trackers, reViSiT is able to playback by itself. However, because reViSiT is coded as a VST plug-in, it can receive time code from its host and thus synchronise is playback: use a sequencer’s transport bar to start playback or move the sequencer’s playback cursor to a specific bar or note and reViSiT will adapt automatically. reViSiT is also able to automatically adapt to time tempo varitations.
- MIDI-Controlled Playback reViSiT Pro replaces the basic tracker "order list" with the option to trigger patterns with MIDI notes, where different pitches trigger different patterns according to a user-defined mapping. This not only allows you to "play around" with your song live, using a MIDI instrument, but also means you can do all your arranging – be it tracked, sequenced and recorded music – in the host.
- ASIO-optimised Audio Processing As a VST plug-in, reViSiT assumes the audio quality of the host. So, if your host (e.g. Cubase) runs at 192kHZ, then so does reViSiT. Internal processing, however, is always processed at 32-bit – regardless of the host’s output bit-depth. The net result is 64 tracks of exquisite low-latency audio quality.
- VST Host DSP Processing When the tracker is playing, the resultant audio is piped back to the VST host as an audio track. Once there, it can be processed by all the facilities affored by the host, including VST and DirectX plug-ins. Furthermore, .WAV rendering becomes a thing of the past – the host will automatically process reViSiT’s output when ever the user mixes (or bounces) the audio down, using the host’s own features.
- Integrated Software Sampler Sample-based synthesis is the lingua franca of trackers, and reViSiT is no exception. reViSiT features a 32-bit software sampler with envelopes (pitch, pan, volume and filter) and uniquely powerful keymapping facilities.
- Native and supported file formats reViSiT’s file format is a hybrid of XML, .WAV and .ZIP technologies to allow users and third-party developers to easily access and manipulate their songs and samples. The module is simply a standard .ZIP archive of the the pattern data (.XML) and sample files (.WAV), editable in a raft of external software. reViSiT v1.0 also supports many popular song and sample formats, including: Scream Tracker, Impulse Tracker, Fast Tracker, Protracker (and compatible) modules, samples and instruments; .WAV sample files and, in the future: AIFF samples, AKAI and EMU patches.
- MIDI In / Out reViSiT exploits its VST host to provide sophisticated MIDI device support, for input and output (playback) – including control of other VSTi’s that are active in the host. The MIDI In feature, coupled with the low-latency of ASIO sound systems will, in the future, even allow users to use reViSiT as a live software sampler. reViSiT v1.0 exploits the MIDI specification to provide as expressive and accurate a playback as can be afforded – enabling nearly all the standard tracker effects, including pitch slides (and portamentos), volume slides and channel panning.
- Surround Sound Support The tracker notation format lends itself to spatialised sound much better than its sequencer and MIDI-based cousins. reViSiT Pro boasts a comprehensive surround sound implementation, including support for quadraphonic (4.0) and 5.1 sound modes. See here for more information.
- Advanced Output Routing (reBUS) reViSiT Pro allows you to send individual channels, instruments, samples or even notes to any of 16 output busses, each of which can support up to 5.1 audio. Added pattern effects (S0x) even allow you to change the routing on-the-fly. The audio is delivered from the reViSiT VSTi plugin to "reBUS" VST effect plugins, allowing you to feed the submixes into VST host tracks. See here for more information.
- Intuitive and easily-accessible support systems The full version of reViSiT will feature an advanced integrated support system, to service the needs of beginners and veterans alike. Critically, reference information (such as keyboard command and effect lists) will never be more than a keystroke or two away. However, for the learner, there will also be detailed help pages, interactive tutorials and dynamic hints and tips.