Bean is a small, easy-to-use word processor (or more precisely, a rich text editor), designed to make writing convenient, efficient and comfortable. Bean is Open Source, fully Cocoa, and is available free of charge! MS Word, OpenOffice, etc. try to be all things to all people. But sometimes you just want the right tool for the job. That is Bean’s niche.
Bean is not a replacement for MS Word. It doesn’t do footnotes or use stylesheets and is only partially compatible with Word’s file formats.
- RTF and HTML formats
- remember cursor location
- spellcheck (free with OS X)
- find and replace (free with OS X)
- document and selection word count
- ruler (free with OS X)
- page breaks (free with OS X)
- insert pictures
- headers and footers
- separate controls for font and size and style (in the Inspector)
- show invisible characters
- page view option
- change view size