The SocketWrench Freeware Edition includes ActiveX controls (OCXs) for general purpose Internet programming, and can be used in a wide variety of programming languages such as Visual Basic, Visual C++, Delphi and PowerBuilder. The Freeware Edition is ideal for students, hobbyists and programmers who are new to Internet software development.
The Freeware Edition includes a Windows Sockets control and a Remote Access Services control which can be used to easily create and manage dial-up networking (SLIP or PPP) connections. Note that the Freeware Edition does not include include the API and class wrappers for C/C++ programmers and does not support secure connections.
Although the ActiveX controls included in the Freeware Edition may also be used with Visual Studio .NET languages, t is recommended that developers use the SocketWrench .NET Edition for a managed class designed specifically for the .NET Framework. Applications written in languages such as Visual Basic .NET and C# can reference ActiveX controls, but there is an inherent performance penalty that does not exist when using managed components.
The following are just some of the features in the SocketWrench Freeware Edition:
- Includes an ATL based ActiveX control compatible with most languages
- Create both client and server applications
- Support for both the TCP stream and UDP message protocols
- Provides a high level interface to simplify development
- Support for both synchronous and asynchronous network connections
- An extensive Developer’s Guide and online Technical Reference
- Freely redistributable with licensing fees or royalties
- A trusted company with over 10 years experience developing Internet components