Sitemaps are an easy way for webmasters to inform search engines about pages on their sites that are available for crawling. By creating and submitting Sitemaps to search engines, you are more likely to get better freshness and coverage in search engines.
Google Sitemap Generator is a tool installed on your web server to generate the Sitemaps automatically. Unlike many other third party Sitemap generation tools, Google Sitemap Generator takes a different approach: it will monitor your web server traffic, and detect updates to your website automatically.
Google Sitemap Generator takes a fresh approach to Sitemap generation. The previous generation of Sitemap generators created Sitemaps by crawling websites, so they did not necessarily improve on the coverage provided by search engine crawlers. In contrast, Google Sitemap Generator monitors your web server traffic and detects updates to your site whenever a user accesses a new page.
The main features of Google Sitemap Generator are:
- Creation of Sitemaps based on web server traffic, web server logs and web server files.
- Efficient generation of Web Sitemaps used by many search engines, and of Google-specific feeds for Mobile, Code Search, and Blog Search.
- Easy configuration. Once you’ve completed the initial configuration, no further administration is needed. But if you do want to tweak the settings, you can use a web-based administration console.
- Easy filtering of URLs, based on URL patterns.
- Automatic calculation of certain metadata, such as modified time and change frequency.
- Automatic submission of Sitemaps for Web search.