Use Subsonic to share your music with friends, or to listen to your own music while at work. You can stream to multiple players simultaneously, for instance to one player in your kitchen and another in your living room.
Subsonic is designed to handle very large music collections (many thousand albums). Subsonic uses a combination of directory structure and tag parsing to organize the music.
If you have constrained bandwidth, you may set an upper limit for the bitrate of the music streams. Subsonic will then automatically resample the music to a suitable bitrate. In addition to being a streaming media server, Subsonic works very well as a local jukebox. The intuitive web interface, as well as search and index facilities, are optimized for efficient browsing through large media libraries.
Features of Subsonic
· Supports MP3, OGG, AAC and any other audio or video format that can be streamed over HTTP.
· Transcoding engine allows for streaming of a variety of lossy and lossless formats by converting to MP3 on-the-fly.
· Works with any network-enabled media player, such as Winamp, iTunes, XMMS, MusicMatch and Windows Media Player.
· Displays cover art, dynamically scaling it to fit nicely on the screen. Supports images embedded in ID3.
· You can assign ratings and comments to albums.
· Finds cover art and album info using Amazon Web Services.
· Audioscrobbling support. Automatically register what you're playing on last.fm
· Tag editing of MP3 and OGG Vorbis files.
· On-the-fly resampling to lower bitrates using the high-quality LAME encoder.
· Common playlist features (add, remove, rearrange, repeat, shuffle, undo).
· Playlists can be saved and restored. M3U, PLS and XSPF formats are supported.
· Saved playlists are available as Podcasts.
· Support for Internet TV and radio stations.
· Configurable index.
· Google-like search functionality.
· Automatic update of search index at specified intervals.
· Supports multiple media folders (for instance one with music and another with movies.)
· Supports multiple simultaneous players. The playlist for any player can be managed from any location.
· Secure. Users must log in using a username and password. Users can be assigned different privileges. Supports HTTPS/SSL encryption.