VirtualBox is a powerful x86 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).
Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and OpenSolaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), Solaris and OpenSolaris, and OpenBSD.
VirtualBox is being actively developed with frequent releases and has an ever growing list of features, supported guest operating systems and platforms it runs on. VirtualBox is a community effort backed by a dedicated company: everyone is encouraged to contribute while Sun ensures the product always meets professional quality criteria.
New in this version:
- GUI: don’t crash if a removable host drive referenced from the VM settings vanished
- GUI: ?xed a crash when using the KDE4 Oxygen theme and clicked on the settings button (4.0 regression; bug #7875)
- GUI: properly warn if the machine folder cannot be created (bug #8031)
- GUI: several ?xes for multimonitor X11 guests
- ExtPack: don’t make the installer helper application suid root Linux .deb/.rpm packages only)
- ExtPack: improved user experience on Vista / Windows 7 when installing an extension pack
- ExtPack: ?xed issue with non-ascii characters in the path name during installing an extension pack (bug #9717)
- ExtPack: ?xed SELinux issues on 32-bit Linux hosts
* VMM: fixed IO-APIC overhead for 32 bits Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003 guests (AMD-V only; bug #4392)
* VMM: fixed a Guru meditation under certain circumstances when enabling a disabled device (bug #4510)
* VMM: fixed a Guru meditation when booting certain Arch Linux guests (software virtualization only; bug #2149)
* VMM: fixed hangs with 64 bits Solaris & OpenSolaris guests (bug #2258)
* VMM: fixed decreasing rdtsc values (AMD-V & VT-x only; bug #2869)
* VMM: small Solaris/OpenSolaris performance improvements (VT-x only)
* VMM: cpuid change to correct reported virtual CPU id in Linux
* VMM: NetBSD 5.0.1 CD hangs during boot (VT-x only; bug #3947)
* Solaris hosts: worked around an issue that caused the host to hang (bug #4486)
* Solaris hosts: fixed a rare host system deadlock when using bridged networking
* Solaris hosts: fixed a potential host system deadlock when CPUs were onlined or offlined.
* Linux hosts: don't crash on Linux PAE kernels < 2.6.11 (in particular RHEL/CentOS 4); disable VT-x on Linux kernels < 2.6.13 (bug #1842)
* Linux/Solaris hosts: correctly detect keyboards with fewer keys than usual (bug #4799)
* Mac OS X hosts: prevent password dialogs in 32 bits Snow Leopard.