Many a time during your corporate or college life, you need to create a
PowerPoint slide explaining your project. Sometimes situations occurs
where you want to use animations in your slide. There are lots of
animations which are in built in PowerPoint 2007. But this may not suit
your need or your style and you may want to customize those animations
as per your requirement. PowerPoint allows you to customize your
animations but many of you might not be knowing how to use custom animation features of PowerPoint. So here is a tutorial for this.
Open the Custom Animation task pane from the Slide Show menu. The picture on the left shows like this:
Where you can see the following:
- Custom Animation task pane list.
- Each list item represents an animation event and is labeled with part of the text from the item on the slide.
- Drop-down menu for a list item. Select a list item to see the menu icon and then click it to reveal the menu.
- Icon that represents the type of animation; for example, an Emphasis effect.
- Triggers are animation events that are set to play only when a specified object is clicked.
indicate the order in which animations play and correspond to the
labels associated with the animated items in normal view, with the
Custom Animation task pane displayed.
- Click this to expand
the list item to reveal additional sequences for a particular list
item. For example, if an entrance effect is applied to a list, and the
option to introduce the text by paragraph is selected, then a list item
for each paragraph will be included in a collapsed list.
- Icon that indicates the timing of the animation event in relation to the other events on the slide. Choices include:
- Start on click: Animation event begins on click of the mouse on the slide.
with previous: Animation sequence begins at the same time as the
previous item in the list (that is, one click executes 2 animation
- Start after previous: Animation sequence begins
immediately after the previous item in the list if finished playing
(that is, no additional click is required to make the next sequence
Changing an animation effect
- Select the effect you want to change.
- In the Modify section, you see settings for the applied effect. Change any of these.
- On click – start the animation on the mouse click
- With previous – start the animation at the same time as the previous animation
- After previous – start the animation when the previous animation or transition has finished
option will vary depending on which Effect you have chosen. Directions
can be from top, from right side, from bottom and so on
- Speeds vary from Very Slow to Very Fast
replace the applied effect with another, choose a different effect on
the Change menu. Select the effect in the effects list, then click the
Change button to expand its menu and submenu, and choose a new effect
from the menu.
- After applying more than one animation to a
slide, you may wish to re-order them. Click on the animation you wish
to move and use the "Re-Order" arrows at the bottom to move UP and
Giving timings to an animation effect
Timings are settings that allow you to automate your PowerPoint
presentation. You can set it for a specific item to show on screen,
when it should start and also when to leave the slide.
- Select the effect for which you want to add the timings.
- Click the Timing tab
- Click the Delay box and mention the number of seconds the animation should wait.
the Speed box, and then type the number of seconds. This procedure will
set the animation speed to five seconds. The Speed box accepts numeric
entries up to a maximum value of 863990 seconds. The Speed box also
accepts time entries in the "hh:mm:ss" time format up to a maximum
value of "59:59:59."
- Click the Repeat box, and mention the
number of times the animation to be repeated. The Repeat box accepts
numeric values between 1 and 9999.
- Click OK.
Removing an animation effect
To remove an effect you’ve applied, in the effects list:
- Select the effect you want to remove.
- Click "Remove" to clear the effect.