Reliance Mobile, India’s leading mobile services provider, and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, today announced the BlackBerry Tour smartphone for Reliance’s CDMA customers in India. The BlackBerry Tour smartphone is a 3G-enabled smartphone offering state-of-the-art communication and multimedia capabilities with outstanding mobile performance and consummate styling. It features international roaming support to help users stay in touch whether they travel around the corner or around the world.
The BlackBerry Tour is a feature packed and high refined smartphone, and it will be available nationally from October 12th for Rs 27990. As a special promotion from Reliance Mobile for pre-booking customers, users will be able to enjoy two months of free BlackBerry Internet Service on Reliance Mobile’s CDMA network.
With its dominant market share and high-end technological capabilities on the CDMA platform, Reliance Mobile has been connecting millions of users across India. The vast reach of Reliance Mobile’s CDMA network will allow customers to access their professional and personal data on their BlackBerry Tour smartphones across the country and at fast speeds.
“Reliance Mobile has been the leader in CDMA communication technology in India since its inception. We are delighted to introduce the BlackBerry Tour smartphone on our well-established CDMA platform. The innovation and advanced technology that the BlackBerry Tour incorporates is ideal for today’s consumer who is always on the move,” said Mr. Vrajesh Shelat, Head Wireless Data Business, Reliance Mobile. “The pre-booking promotion is an opportunity for our customers to experience this latest BlackBerry smartphone from Reliance Mobile. With the launch of the BlackBerry Tour smartphone, we are offering our CDMA customers an opportunity to leverage the high speed data experience on both our CDMA and GSM networks.”
“The BlackBerry Tour smartphone is a world phone in a complete sense, with sharp styling that resonates well with the suave and well-travelled consumer who wants to be connected while on the go. With multimedia functionality as well as support for email, social networking and a wide variety of other mobile applications, the BlackBerry Tour takes mobile empowerment to the next level,” said Ms. Frenny Bawa, Vice President, India, Research In Motion.
With the launch of the BlackBerry Tour, Reliance Mobile has expanded its portfolio of BlackBerry smartphones, which include the BlackBerry Curve 8330, BlackBerry Pearl 8130, BlackBerry 8703 and BlackBerry 8830 for its CDMA network, as well as the BlackBerry Curve 8900 and BlackBerry Pearl 8110 for its GSM network. The company also plans to roll out the BlackBerry Tour to its GSM customers soon.
The BlackBerry Tour smartphone from Reliance Mobile features a chic black finish with chrome highlights surrounding its sleek design. It measures 112mm x 62mm x 14.2mm (L X W X D) and weighs just 130g. It includes a large, easy-to-use, full-QWERTY keyboard in addition to its large (2.44") bright display (480 x 360 resolution at 245 ppi), which delivers the highest resolution available on a BlackBerry smartphone and displays pictures, web pages and videos with incredible clarity.
Other key features of the BlackBerry Tour smartphone include:
* 3.2 MP camera with flash, variable zoom, image stabilization, autofocus and video recording*
* Full HTML web browser, including support for streaming audio and video (RTSP)
* Advanced media player for videos, pictures and music, a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack and support for the Bluetooth® Stereo Audio Profile (A2DP/AVCRP)
* 256MB Flash memory
* Expandable memory via hot swappable microSD/SDHC memory card slot, supporting up to 16 GB cards today and expected to support next generation 32GB cards when available
* Built-in GPS with support for geotagging and other location based applications and services
* BlackBerry Media Sync, which allows customers to quickly and easily synch music from iTunes and Windows Media Player with the smartphone
* Premium phone features including voice activated dialing, enhanced background noise cancellation, a low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth (2.0) support for hands-free headsets, car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals
* Preloaded DataViz Documents to Go allowing users to edit Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly on the handset
* Easy mobile access to Facebook and MySpace, as well as popular instant messaging services including Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, Google Talk, Windows Live Messenger and BlackBerry Messenger
* BlackBerry Internet Service support, allowing access to up to 10 supported personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
* BlackBerry Enterprise Server support, which provides advanced security and IT administration features within IBM® Lotus Domino, Microsoft Exchange and Novell GroupWise environments
* Removable and rechargeable 1400 mAhr battery for 5 hours of talk time and 14 days of standby time