- For organizations that rely on spreadsheets for business
intelligence, Oracle and Simba Technologies Inc. today announced the
availability of MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP.
- MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP natively and securely
connects Microsoft Excel PivotTable cross-tab and dashboard functionality with Oracle® OLAP data.
- An easy to install, client-side driver, MDX Provider for
Oracle OLAP enables end-users to query, display and navigate Oracle OLAP data
directly from within Excel spreadsheets.
- Simba is the industry’s choice for standards-based
relational and multi-dimensional data connectivity.
Easing Use of Excel with Oracle OLAP
- Oracle OLAP, an option to Oracle Database 11g
Enterprise Edition, is a calculation engine that supports advanced analytical
applications including planning, budgeting, forecasting, sales, and marketing to
help identify key business trends and model complex business scenarios.
- With the MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP, organizations and
departments that use Excel for ad hoc querying, analysis and reporting can
connect to Oracle OLAP data just like connecting to any other data source.
- MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP enables users to take
advantage of Excel PivotTable and PivotChart functionality to analyze Oracle
OLAP data, including advanced formatting and dashboard presentation
capabilities, and integration with other Microsoft Office products.
- With all data and calculations stored centrally in the
database as well as analysis performed directly against the database, users
benefit from the performance and security features of the Oracle Database, while
helping to ensure that the analysis performed takes advantage of the very latest
- MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP supports Microsoft Excel
2007 and 2003 and Oracle Database 11g Release 1 and 2.
- MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP is built upon Simba’s
leading MDX 2005 query language technology that’s embedded in several major BI
- Simba will demonstrate the solution at Oracle OpenWorld 2009 San
Francisco during their conference session, “Using Excel and Oracle for Business
Intelligence and Ad Hoc Reporting,” (ID: S308590) on October 12 at 5:30 pm
Pacific in Room 2010, Moscone West.
- Simba Technologies Inc. is a member of the Oracle
- “Customers have voiced their interest in a simple
solution that would enable them to view and analyze Oracle OLAP data directly
from within Excel spreadsheets,” said Ray Roccaforte, vice president of Data
Warehousing and Analytics, Oracle. “The MDX Provider for Oracle OLAP enables
end-users to work in that familiar spreadsheet environment while taking
advantage of the power and security of the Oracle Database.”
- “Simba’s MDX Provider for Oracle has made connecting
Excel to Oracle an incredibly easy, low-cost action,” said Amyn Rajan, Simba’s
CEO. “Oracle customers can use Excel PivotTables for ad hoc query and analysis
and reap the tremendous power of their Oracle Database.”