Millions of girls and women of all ages go online regularly to play a variety of genres of computer games. And Verizon is unveiling on Tuesday (Nov. 24) a new online gaming community for its Verizon FiOS Internet and Verizon High Speed Internet subscribers – "She’s Got Verizon Games" – that’s designed with female gamers in mind.
"Research shows that today there are nearly as many female gamers as there are male gamers," said Susan Retta, vice president of consumer products and services at Verizon. "Our new casual gaming portal gives women and girls a new place online to enjoy games, interact with other players, win prizes, identify themselves by games they love to play, challenge and stretch their minds, and just have a lot of fun."
The new online community features:
- Unlimited access to more than 1,500 games for $14.99 a month, and a "Quick Pack" option for 450 games for $4.99 a month. Packages include a 14-day free trial.
- Extensive library of games powered by Exent Technologies that spans popular genres like puzzle, arcade, hidden object, time management and others. Top titles include "Bejeweled 2," "Women’s Murder Club 3: Twice in a Blue Moon," "Zuma," "Cake Mania Main Street," "Top Chef: The Game" and many more.
- Cool "mini me" avatars that players can dress in any fashion, including the latest fashions, to show off their unique character and style.
- Virtual 3D Game Lounge offering an online retreat that members can design and decorate to match their own individuality.
- Virtual marketplace where players use their hard-earned Prize Points to personalize their avatars and choose from an extensive array of items for their game lounges.
- Game challenges offering achievements that earn Prize Points and trophies.
- Trophy Case for members to display their skills and accomplishments to the entire community.
- Leaderboards in categories including Top Critics, Trophy Leaders, Power Users and more.
- Verizon Offers Incentives for Gamers to Join In
A series of Free Ladies’ Nights — the first night begins Nov. 24 from 7 p.m. Eastern time to 7 a.m. Nov. 25 — during which any Verizon broadband subscriber can access and play all games in the Verizon Games catalog for free.
In addition, the new community is hosting a monthly sweepstakes through February and will award prizes to new members who become eligible once they have downloaded and played their first game within the month. Members can also win big by dressing up their avatar and submitting it for judging by the community in a popular vote. Submissions must be received by Jan. 22, 2010, with voting ending on Feb.10.