Latest Release of Oracle SQL Developer Offers New PL/SQL Unit Testing, Data Modeling Viewer, and Expanded Database Migration Support.
- To further enhance developer productivity and simplify Oracle® Database development, Oracle today announced the availability of Oracle SQL Developer Release 2.1, the latest release of the popular database development and migration tool.
- A free, comprehensive tool, Oracle SQL Developer Release 2.1 introduces two new key capabilities – PL/SQL Unit Testing and Data Modeler Viewer – in addition to a slew of enhancements to the software overall. The new features and enhancements to Oracle SQL Developer Release 2.1 come in response to requests and input from the Oracle SQL Developer community.
- This release also introduces Migration Workbench support for Teradata and IBM DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX and Windows.
- Oracle SQL Developer Release 2.1 is downloadable from the Oracle Technology Network (OTN).
Latest Release Streamlines Database Testing and Migration:
- Oracle SQL Developer Release 2.1 introduces a unit-testing framework that enables developers to build and share unit tests and test suites that can be run in batch mode and from command line against different databases. PL/SQL Unit Testing offers database developers powerful, prebuilt capabilities with which to develop and run regression tests for their database code resulting in higher quality database development while reducing the need for writing scripts for unit testing.
- This latest release of Oracle SQL Developer also features a Data Modeler Viewer, read-only access to the recently introduced Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler. This enables developers, data modelers, IT architects and others to use the tool to open and browse data models built with the standalone Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler as well as graphically view their schema objects by dragging tables onto a model diagram.
- A key benefit of the new Data Modeler Viewer feature of Oracle SQL Developer is that users can rely on this single tool to browse third-party database tables and their foreign key relationships on a diagram, and then use the tool to migrate data and objects to an Oracle Database–helping reduce the costs, effort and risks associated with moving third-party databases to Oracle.
- Oracle SQL Developer Release 2.1 now features Migration Workbench support for Teradata (version 12) and IBM DB2 UDB for Linux, UNIX and Windows (versions 7, 8 and 9), in addition to previously announced support for Sybase ASE Releases 12 and 15, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and 2005, and Microsoft Access.
- This latest release also features:
- New background task capability enabling users to run time-consuming tasks using SQL in the background while carrying out other tasks with the tool;
- Data Grids have been enhanced to offer users greater control such as dynamic search, filter and highlighting; and,
- Version control support is now included for Perforce and Serena Dimensions.
- Oracle SQL Developer is available for all editions of Oracle Database 11g and runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. The tool is also available for Oracle Database 10g and Oracle9i Database Release 2.
- "The addition of PL/SQL Unit Testing sets Oracle SQL Developer apart from many other database development tools,” said Mike Hichwa, vice president of Software Development, Oracle. “We know virtually every Oracle Database customer uses PL/SQL, and having a robust unit testing framework will allow our customers to reduce cost and improve the quality of their releases."
- “Professional software development needs powerful tools,” said Gerd Volberg, senior architect of OPITZ CONSULTING. “That’s the reason every developer in our company has their own memory-stick with a fully installed Oracle SQL Developer. In our business, we often work in environments where it is forbidden to install software on a customer computer. Here it is very important for us to have a tool that is accessible and which works instantly from a memory-stick. Oracle SQL Developer Release 2.1 is a gorgeous toolset with a powerful new PL/SQL Unit Testing included, perfect for our consulting services.”