Offers a new perspective on creativity and portability with a full-scale entry-level model that allows users to express themselves like never before
Nikon India, the 100% subsidiary of Nikon Corporation, leaders in imaging technology, today announced the launch of the D5200 D-SLR camera, a compact and lightweight entry-level model that delivers exceptional performance via Nikon’s all-new DX-format CMOS sensor, which has an effective pixel count of approximately 24.1-million pixels. The camera possesses greatly enhanced optical technologies, including an optimised EXPEED 3 image-processing engine, based on the one built into Nikon’s D4 flagship camera.
It is an entry-level D-SLR camera that meets photo enthusiasts’ demands for full-scale photography capabilities, offering the superior performance in a compact and lightweight body.
The D5200 allows photographers of all statures to confidently execute new and creative ways to capture life’s precious moments with the swing out style Vari-angle LCD, making self-portraits possible. It flaunts a number of advanced features such as 39 focus points, Scene Recognition System, i-TTL balanced fill-flash and auto white-balance control. Equipped with D-Movie function, the camera supports recording of full-HD 1920 × 1080 50i/60i movies for sharp HD movies exhibiting excellent detail.
Speaking on the announcement, Mr. Hiroshi Takashina, Managing Director, Nikon India said “The announcement is a testimony to Nikon’s leadership in the D-SLR category. We have specifically designed this new D-SLR to provide users with excellent performance that can be achieved by other higher-end models. With this launch, the consumers will now be able to capture highly flexible image expression, and reliability that ensures beautiful pictures.”
“The D5200 is a versatile and compact D-SLR that is well suited for photo-enthusiasts looking for high-end features and full HD video with selectable frame rate of 60i-24p. This camera will definitely bring out the inner creativity of photographers during the festivities around.” said Mr. Sajjan Kumar, Vice President-Imaging, Nikon India
The D5200 is also equipped with Special Effects mode that enables the application and adjustment of special effects while shooting. This makes recording of original and creative still images and movies that combine the superior definition of the high pixel count with a variety of forms of expression simple and fun. The camera also sports a broad range of standard sensitivities, from ISO 100 to ISO 6400, with even higher available settings; (Hi 2) is equivalent to approximately ISO 25600.
The D5200 is the embodiment of convenience, with the camera possessing the ability to connect with smart devices via the Wireless Mobile Adapter WU-1a, or be remotely controlled via the new Wireless Remote Controller WR-R10/WR-T10 (both available separately). When the WU-1a is connected to the camera, images can be transferred to smart devices, such as a smart phone or tablet1. The smart device can also be used to operate the camera remotely. In addition, by connecting the all-new WR-R10 (transceiver) and WR-T10 (transmitter) to the D5200, users can remotely control the camera from greater distances, broader angles and even through obstacles – far superior when compared to infrared remote control. The WR-T10 transmitter can also be used to control multiple cameras at the same time, via multiple WR-R10 receivers.
Primary Features – D5200
1. All-New! Nikon’s 24.1-million Pixel DX-format CMOS Sensor – Support For A Broad Range Of ISO Sensitivities Resulting In Superior Image Quality And Definition
The D5200’s DX-format CMOS sensor helps capture clear and sharp images with very little noise, even at higher sensitivities. This is achieved through an effective pixel count of approximately 24.1-million pixels, which supports a broad range of standard ISO sensitivities, from ISO 100 at the low end to ISO 6400 at the high end, The camera offers even higher ISO capabilities – (Hi 2) is equivalent to approximately ISO 25600. When used in conjunction with NIKKOR lenses, which feature Nikon’s advanced optical technologies, the finest details will be sharply rendered via the approximate 24.1-million effective pixels.
2. Optimised EXPEED 3 Image-Processing Engine – Faster And More Efficient
Equipped with an enhanced, high-performance EXPEED 3 image-processing engine, based on the one built into Nikon’s high-end FX-format D4, D800, D800E, and D600, the D5200 offer precise rendering, reproduces colors vividly and features a broad dynamic range. Advanced noise-reduction processing effectively suppresses noise to preserve textures and details when shooting still images at high sensitivities. The same technology ensures that movies feature crisp, clear outlines, even when shooing in low-light situations.
3. Stress-Free Shooting: Cutting-Edge Basic Camera Performance And Operation
- Best In-Class AF system – 39 AF Points
- Utilising the Multi-CAM4800DX autofocus sensor module, the D5200 will always acquire and track the intended subject with 39 focus points. Along with cross-type sensors for the nine centre focus points, which are used the most often, users can count on reliable focusing and excellent tracking performance. In addition, the number of active focus points can be limited to 11.
- 2,016-pixel RGB Sensor With Built-In Scene Recognition System
- The Scene Recognition System automatically detects shooting conditions and analyses a scene’s brightness and colour information, which is used by the autofocus, auto-exposure, i-TTL balanced fill-flash, and auto white-balance functions. For the best and most apparent results, users should enable 3D-tracking, which is optimal for capturing moving objects. The system can also better identify smaller subjects, when compared to the D5100. What’s more, up to 35 faces can be recognised when recording movies in live view mode with the Face-priority AF enabled, or when faces are enlarged during playback of still images.
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting – Up To Approximately 5 fps2
- With the ability to continuously shoot at up to approximately 5 fps, users will never miss the perfect shot, whether framing images in the optical viewfinder or via the camera’s monitor. With the densely packed 39 focus points effectively covering the majority of the frame, the D5200 will always acquire and track the intended subject, even rapidly moving ones. Users also have the option of selecting the optimal frame rate for capturing natural human expressions during high-speed continuous shooting, which is approximately 3 fps.
4. Vari-angle LCD Monitor – Stress-Free Shooting From Any Angle
The large, 3-inch, approximately 921k-dot LCD monitor features a wide viewing angle and accurate previews. It opens to the left from 0–180°, and when opened, can be rotated 180° forwards and 90° backwards. The side-hinge prevents the monitor from hitting a tripod and allows it to open and rotate without obstruction, for flexible and stress-free shooting, making self-portraits possible as well.
5. Nikon’s D-Movie 1920 x 1080 60i/50i – Smooth, Cinematic Action Videos With Superior Picture Quality
The ability to record pristine 1920 × 1080 60i/50i movies is now just a button press away. Nikon’s new DX-format CMOS sensor, with an effective pixel count of approximately 24.1-million pixels, and enhanced, high-speed EXPEED 3 image-processing engine ensure sharp and clear movies with little noise, jaggies or moiré patterns. When filming moving objects or subjects, the user simply enables Contrast-detect AF to activate autofocusing. When the focus mode is set to Full-time servo AF (AF-F) and the AF-area mode to Subject-tracking AF, the camera automatically focuses on a subject moving through the frame.
Users can also manually3 set shutter speed and ISO sensitivity according to their own preferences. Optional recording frame rates range from 60i or 50i (1080), or 24p, 25p or 30p (1080) per second. The camera is equipped with a stereo microphone for excellent audio quality when recording movies. Stereo sound can also be captured via the optional Stereo Microphone ME-1.
6. Special Effects Mode – Creative Imaging Expression
Seven special effects can be applied to still images and movies. With the option of previewing the special effect on the monitor before capturing or recording the image or movie, users can adjust or confirm results of the effect in real time. Movie lovers can now easily insert and enjoy dramatic effects like those created through special effects in the movies with a few simple clicks. Expressing creativity and style have never been so easy.
Price and Availability
The Nikon D5200 is available in three colors—black, red, bronze at MRP of Rs. 46,950 for D5200 body & AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Kit Lens. The product shall be available from December 2012 onwards across pan India.