Intego, the Mac security specialist, today announced the release of VirusBarrier Server 3, the latest version of its robust anti-malware and network protection software for Macs running as servers. With the best anti-malware protection available for Mac, and powerful network protection features, VirusBarrier Server 3 now provides comprehensive protection from both malware and network threats.
VirusBarrier Server 3, the latest version of Intego’s network and malware security program, based on VirusBarrier X6, includes new threat-detection techniques, improved methods of detection, and combined detection protocols to keep Mac OS X servers free of malware. VirusBarrier Server 3 is the only program for Mac servers that includes full antivirus and anti-malware protection together with a two-way firewall, anti-intrusion, network protection features and more.
Servers running Mac OS X need strong protection from malware, both to ensure that the servers don’t get infected, but also to protect file repositories where users freely exchange files. Whether in Mac-only or heterogeneous environments, VirusBarrier Server 3, with its detection of Mac OS X, Windows, Unix and Linux malware, ensures that files on the server will be safe.
This powerful program helps businesses, administrations and educational institutions ensure that their servers are protected from viruses, malware and network attacks.
In addition to being the best defense against viruses and malware for Macs, VirusBarrier Server 3 adds more than 100 new features that provide hardened security and help protect against the latest threats. Here are some of them:
- Remote GUI administration: VirusBarrier Server 3 allows administrators to manage the program remotely, with full access to all settings and configurations. Administrators can manage multiple servers from a single GUI console and the program can also be administered locally. With VirusBarrier Server Admin, administrators get a bird’s-eye view of all the servers they are responsible for.
- Two-way firewall: VirusBarrier Server 3 now includes a powerful two-way firewall, extending the program’s protection beyond detecting and eradicating malware. This firewall offers preset configurations, for basic situations, and customizable, rule-based settings for advanced users, to protect Mac OS X servers from dangerous network traffic.
- Antivandal: VirusBarrier Server 3 protects servers from intrusions and network attacks. A full range of features is included to protect against the many new types of threats facing Internet users.
- New types of malware detected: VirusBarrier Server 3 detects a wide range of new types of malware, such as scareware (software that tries to trick users into thinking their Mac is infected, in order to get them to pay for software), spyware (including commercial software used as keyloggers or monitoring tools), hacking tools, dialers (software that initiates phone calls to premium-rate phone numbers), proof-of-concept malware (software designed to show how to exploit a vulnerability, which is not circulating "in the wild"), and more.
- E-mail server protection: VirusBarrier Server 3 integrates with the Mac OS X Server’s e-mail server to scan incoming and outgoing e-mails for malicious attachments. When infected e-mails are found, they are quarantined until an administrator can check them.
- Fine-tuned scanning and security policies: users can choose from a number of detailed options to determine exactly what is scanned and when, and the type of threats that VirusBarrier Server 3 scans for.
- Performance control: users can choose a level of CPU time to be allocated to background scans, in order to optimize CPU and disk priorities for malware scans.
- Updates: virus definition and threat filter updates can be applied automatically without restarting the server. Updates can also be served from a specific local folder; all computers using VirusBarrier Server 3 can be set to check for updates in that local folder. This means that servers with no Internet access can get their updates easily.
- 64-bit software: VirusBarrier Server 3, like all of Intego’s software, is now provided with 64-bit code, fully compatible with Snow Leopard, and ready for the future.
VirusBarrier Server 3 includes:
- General features:
* A remote GUI administration console makes it easy to administer multiple servers
* Detailed logs of all infected files sent automatically to administrators
* Full logs allow users to audit all network activity
* Stores logs in the Apple system log facility
* Automatic updates of program and threat filters via Intego NetUpdate
* Free technical support provided by Mac specialists
- Malware protection features:
* Detects and eliminates all known Mac viruses and malware
* Scans files for Windows and Unix viruses
* Protects against Trojan horses
* Protects against adware, hacker tools, dialers, keyloggers and more
* Repairs infected files
* A full quarantine zone to isolate infected files
* Scans all files written to or opened on the server
* Scheduled scans of local and network volumes
* Automatic scans after virus definitions are updated or when volumes are mounted
* Command-line control for remote scans
* Trusted Files zone to disable Real-Time scanning on selected files or folders
* Scans of all e-mail sent and received via the Mac OS X Server e-mail server
* Notifications of infected e-mails sent automatically to administrators
* Scans compressed files and archives
* Archive scanning can be activated by archive type
* Scanning for Windows viruses can be deactivated
* Suspicious file analysis by the Intego Virus Monitoring Center
* Turbo Mode technology for faster scans
- Network protection features:
* Controls incoming and outgoing TCP/IP traffic and data
* Protects against all kinds of intrusions
* Protects against network attacks
* Protects against ping floods, port scans, and more
* Simple and advanced firewall modes
* Offers customizable firewall rules
* Logs display real-time network activity with domain name resolution
* Blocked Addresses and Trusted Addresses lists store friendly and malicious IP addresses
* Offers a choice of defense policies, with advanced options for intrusion protection
* Individualized security policies for network attack prevention
VirusBarrier Server 3 is available now.