ClueTrust is pleased today to announce Cartographica 1.2, a major update to their Geographical Information System (GIS) software for Mac OS X. Cartographica provides a complete set of tools which enable the user to explore, analyze and present geospatial data. It supports importing from over 100 different raster and vector formats, as well as bringing in data from spreadsheets and other user data files. The app’s GUI features a 3-element display: the map, the layer stack, and the data viewer.
Cartographica supports importing from a vast array of file formats, and includes numerous convenience features for working with imported data. For example, if data includes only addresses, Cartographica can geocode that data into latitude and longitude with internal geocoding services, or provide direct, easy access to geocoding services through third-party service providers. The application will also readily access data from the internet. Using OGC-standard web features and map servers (WFS and WMS), it can integrate that data directly and show it alongside data from other sources, such as local files or public data services like OpenStreetMap, and internet services like the National Map.
The application features a suite of sophisticated analysis and geoprocessing tools, such as: custom formula-based columns, kernel density analysis, and variable buffering, all of which serve to help the user extract the information in their data. And when the internal capabilities of Cartographica are insufficient, its extensive scripting interface makes custom analysis easy using AppleScript or Automator.
Version 1.2 builds on Cartographica’s exploratory interface and expands existing functionality:
- Flexible labeling that can easily show multiple fields in multiple styles on one or more lines
- Dramatically improved Illustrator export, using layers to provide all the geospatial and textual data, plus legends which can be styled for direct inclusion into documents
- Easy and sophisticated new formula fields enable calculations using higher math as well as ready use of geoprocessing data, and can be updated in real time
- Live Maps incorporates access to a variety of tile-servers and WMS services to put data into context quickly
- Increased speed and reduced memory footprint, made possible by the powerful Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Cartographica makes presenting data easy. With sophisticated Adobe Illustrator and Google Maps-compatible KML export, the user can go from visualizing data to presenting it online and in print without a huge translation/import/export workflow. All of the sophisticated styling and labeling that is applied in Cartographica is carried into Illustrator, and any selected data fields are available through pop-ups in Google Maps or Google Earth when exporting to KML.
"Snow Leopard has made it possible to significantly expand the features of Cartographica 1.2 while also increasing speed and reducing memory consumption, even with very large data sets," stated ClueTrust President Gaige Paulsen.
- Mac with Intel processor
- Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- 1 GB RAM
- Application size 48 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Cartographica 1.2 is priced at $495 (USD) and scheduled for release in May 2010. Cartographica 1.1.4 is available now at the special price of $395 until the release of version 1.2.