VMware and Google Advance Cloud Computing.
Today at the SpringOne 2GX developer conference, VMware, Inc. the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, announced with Google the general availability of the first in a series of technology collaborations to make enterprise software developers more efficient at building, deploying and managing applications within any cloud environment on any device. The collaborative projects that will be available in the next two weeks include Spring Roo and Google Web Toolkit, Spring Insight and Google Speed Tracer, SpringSource Tool Suite and Google Plugin for Eclipse.
“Together, Google and VMware enable enterprises to develop and deploy rich Spring Java applications across multiple clouds and devices.” said Rod Johnson, SVP, application platform division at VMware. “Today we have reached an important milestone where these modern applications can run smoothly within the firewalls of a company’s production datacenter or in a trusted provider’s cloud environment."
The general availability of these projects represents the first in a series of technology collaborations to enhance cloud portability across multiple clouds and devices. The next collaboration projects will focus on even broader mobile application support and accessing data in the cloud, as demonstrated today by the ability to deploy a SQL-based Spring application on Google App Engine for Business.
“Developers are looking for faster ways to build and run great web applications, and businesses want platforms that are open and flexible,” said Vic Gundotra, Google vice president of developer platforms. “By making deployments of Spring Java applications on Google App Engine using Google Web Toolkit generally available, developers can deploy Java applications in production environments of their choice while leveraging rich web front-end across multiple devices.”
The following projects will be Generally Available within 2 weeks:
- Spring Roo and Google Web Toolkit – Spring Roo, a next generation rapid application development tool, combined with the power of the Google Web Toolkit (GWT) enable developers to build rich browser apps in enterprise production environments. These GWT powered applications leverage modern browser technologies such as AJAX and HTML5 to create the most compelling end user experience on both desktops and mobile browsers.
- Spring Insight and Google Speed Tracer – Google’s Speed Tracer with VMware’s Spring Insight performance tracing technology enable end to end performance visibility into cloud applications. This integration provides a holistic view into the web application performance, improving the end-user experience by optimizing the client side as well as the server side.
- SpringSource Tool Suite and Google Plugin for Eclipse – The integration of SpringSource Tool Suite version 2.5 and Google Plugin for Eclipse makes it easy for developers to build and maintain large scale, web-based, enterprise applications, putting tools that were previously only available when building desktop and server solutions in the hands of those building cutting edge web apps.
- Projects will be generally available for download at google.com/cloudportability and vmware.com/cloudportability
- Blog post from Google’s Brad Abrams, describing the project features features can be found at http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/ Getting started guide: Getting started with GWT, Spring Roo and SpringSource
- Tool Suite can be found at http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/getting-started-with-roo-sts.html