This compact has swapped the original HD video for a front video projector that can take your photos and movies on a wall.
A good pattern is sometimes louder than words. A lesson that Nikon has put to good use with its compact projector built, the CoolPix S1000pj. Because of the market for compact that is so difficult to differentiate, projecting an image on a wall will speak more to people providing an explanation of the wide-angle or benefit of AVCHD.
The quicky aspect of the Coolpix S1000pj is due to the presence of a microprojector. This is not common that caught our attention. Will it be powerful enough to project an image in daylight? Or in a room with the shutters open? And how long will it last?
And there was light
In broad daylight, in a square at 12 noon, needless to say we do not see much. And it’s rightly so, since the sun is slightly larger and brighter than the S1000pj. Even in finding places too enlightened, although it remains usable, but the image is already visible inside a cafe or in a room without curtains. To make the most of the image, the less light the better. It enables the projection of a push button; the focus can be doing with a dimmer placed on top of the device.
Shine in society or family
Make a photo of Grandma and project onto the ceiling, and also the family meal as animated by magic. And trendy evening is even better: the subject photographed, accustomed to seeing his mug on an LCD screen a few inches square opens your eyes once the image is projected on a ceiling or a wall full of projections of campaign. Guaranteed effect!
But what about the sustainability of the process once the surprise happened? Unable to answer the question, it would take months of use to publish a notice which remain very personal. But it is clear that as the only device of its kind on the market, S1000pj has a nice card in his sleeve. A card it can play but not more than one hour or 50 minutes.
Facilities Photo honorable, slow and noise
Although not the best compact cameras, this is not ridiculous. Its menus are simple and clear, his range is appreciable: optical lens with a 28mm wide angle and zooming of x5. Require technical choices, the video is standard and not HD like most with this price category.
In use, the device is not the fastest: soft wake up, it needs a little (too much) time to write his image buffer to the memory card. The interval between two images is a bit too slow for our liking.
The other result is poor quality images in low light, past ISO 400, it’s not very clean.
- 12.1 Megapixels for stunning prints as large as 16 x 20 inches.
- 5x Wide-angle Zoom-NIKKOR Glass Lens has a versatile zoom range that gets you close to the action while capturing expansive landscapes.
- World’s first camera with an ultra-small, built-in projector provides new ways for enjoying your pictures anytime and anywhere. Among digital cameras as of July 10, 2009 (according to research conducted by Nikon Corporation).
- 5-way VR Image Stabilization System:
- Hybrid VR Image Stabilization combines Optical and Electronic VR Image Stabilization to minimize the effects of camera shake.
- Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and the ISO setting to compensate for camera shake and subject movement.
- High ISO up to 6400 capability helps give you sharper results when shooting in low light or capturing fast-moving subjects.(ISO 300 and ISO 6400 are available at 3MP or lower resolution.)
- Nikon’s original Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to 10 shots while the shutter is pressed and saves the sharpest image.
- Incredible, Bright 2.7-inch High Resolution LCD makes it easy to compose and share your pictures with anti-glare coating and brightness adjustment.
- Scene Auto Selector automatically recognizes the scene in your picture and adjusts camera setting.
- Nikon’s Smart Portrait System:
- New Skin Softening smoothes skin tone at three different levels for optimal portraits.
- In-Camera Red-Eye Fix™ automatically fixes most instances of red-eye in the camera. You may never see red-eye again.
- Face-Priority AF Nikon’s face-finding technology that automatically focuses on up to 12 faces.
- Smile Timer, Blink Proof and Blink Warning makes sure you’ll always catch the decisive moment when your subject smiles and Blink Proof function shoots two pictures and automatically saves the one in which the subject’s eyes remain open. Blink Warning, when activated alerts you that the subject may have blinked and allows you to retake the photo.
- D-Lighting rescues dark or backlit images by improving brightness and detail where needed.
- Quick Retouch adjusts contrast and color vividness automatically and automatically activates D-Lighting
- 16 Scene Modes
- Record movies at 640 x 480 resolution at 30 fps
- Macro shooting as close as 1.2”
- Image Sensor Type: CCD
- Total Pixels: 12.39 million
- Effective Pixels: 12.1 million
- Image Area (pixels): 4000 x 3000(12M)
- LCD Monitor Size: 2.7 in. diagonal
- LCD Monitor Type: TFT-LCD with anti-reflection coating
- LCD Monitor Resolution: 230,000 Dots
- Lowest ISO Sensitivity: 80
- Highest ISO Sensitivity: 6400
- Storage Media: SD; SDHC
- Internal Memory: Approx. 36MB
- Image Stabilization: Hybrid – Combination lens shift VR and digital processing
- Movie Modes: Movie with sound
- Interface: Hi-speed USB
- Lens Zoom: 5x
- Lens Specification: 5x Zoom-NIKKOR; 5.0-25.0mm (35mm  format pic ture angle: 28-140 mm); f/3.9-5.8; Digital zoom: up to 4x (35mm  format picture angle: 560mm)
- Focus Range: Approx. 1ft. (30cm) to infinity, Macro close-up mode: 1.2in. (3cm) to infinity
- Battery Type: Rechargeable
- Battery/Batteries: EN-EL12 Lithium-ion Battery
- AC Adapter: EH-62F AC Adapter (optional)
- Battery Charger: MH-65 Battery Charger
- Battery Life (shots per charge): Nikon Rechargeable 220 shots (CIPA)
- Approx. Dimensions: Height – 2.5 in. (62.5mm); Width – 4 in. (99.5mm); Depth – 0.9 in. (23mm)
- Approx. Weight: 5.5 oz. (155g)
- Supplied Software: Software Suite CD-ROM
- Optional Accessories: EH-62F AC Adapter
- Projector Brightness: Up to 10 lumens
- Projector Image Size: 5 to 40 in.
- Projector Throw Distance: Approx. 26cm to 2m (10 in. to 6ft. 6 in.)
- Projector Endurance (battery life): Approx. 1 hour
- Projector Resolution (output): VGA (640 x 480)
- Supplied Accessories:
- Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12
- Battery Charger MH-65
- USB Cable UC-E6
- Audio Video Cable EG-CP14
- Strap AN-CP19
- Projector Stand ET-2
- Remote Control ML-L4
- Software Suite CD-ROM
The news is welcome and we do here tested the video projection of the CoolPix S1000pj. Inherently, the device is a small 3/5, but the ability to animate an evening with family or friends or an evening stroll by projecting images across an innovation that is worth a little star bonus. An indulgence that we will not renew next time: dependent for Nikon to develop its technology in the right direction.