As you all might be knowing,AMD has launched it’s new line of processors,namely the AMD Athlon 64 series.
These CPUs mean a transition from the now common Socket A.It is
also know as the K8 Series as the Amd Athlon XP range was called the K7
Now when a new CPU with entirely new architecture is launched generally,newer chipsets are launched too.
Now in the case of AMD CPU’s there are mainly 2 companies that take
centrestage in case of chipsets.They are VIA and Nvidia.Although SIS
also makes chipsets for AMD but they are not very popular.Mind you,SIS
offers some very good,cost effective chipsets for AMD CPUs.
Ok now let’s get down to the main topic.
Today we are going to review another motherboard for the new Socket 754
from AMD or should i say,a motherboard for AMD Athlon 64 3xxx+ CPUs.
Today we are going to review the Asus K8V motherboard.
Let’s have a look at the package in general first.
Here is the Box in which the motherboard comes in.If you observe you
will find that the box of this motherboard is pretty fancy.Generally
Asus Motherboards do not have those monsters,creatures…that are
generally seen on Graphics card boxes on their boxes.
I think it is a new strategy adopted by Asus to make the product look
much more attractive i guess.I think there is no need to do anything of
that sort because the motherboard itself is very good.I am not saying i
dont like it,infact it looks nice.Anyways it doesnt matter.
Let’s have a look at the contents that came with the packsge.
As usual Asus has given a lot of accessories with this motherboard.
Here is the list,
1] Motherboard Manual
2] Motherboard Driver + Software CD
3] Asus Sticker
4] 2 X SATA Cables
5] 2 X 80 Conductor IDE Cables
6] 1 X Floppy Drive Cable
7] Back Panel Protection Plate
If you see the list you will observe that there is nothing jazzy or
special kind of accesorry in it.It does have the essential things.I
like it this way,i am of the opinion that there should be all the
essential stuff even if there isnt any extra stuff.
Ok now let’s have a look the actual thing, the Motherboard,
Asus K8V Motherboard Specification
- CPU – One 754-pin socket supports one AMD Athlon 64 processor
Built-in 1MB L2 cache.AMD64 architecture enables simultaneous 32-bit
and 64-bit computing System Bus – 800MHz HyperTransport
- Chipset – VIA K8T800,VIA VT8237
- Memory – 3 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 3GB un-buffered ECC and non- ECC PC3200/PC2700 / PC2100 DDR SDRAM memory
- Expansion Slots – 1 x AGP 8X,5x PCI
- Storage –
- South Bridge
- 2 x ATA133
- 2 x SATA, RAID0, RAID1
- R20376 RAID controller
- 1xUltraDMA133 supports one hard drives
- 2xSerial ATA RAID0, RAID1
- Audio – ADI AD1980, 6-channel CODEC S/PDIF out interface
- LAN – Marvell 88E8001 GbLAN
- USB2.0 – 8 USB2.0 ports
- Special Features –
- AI NET
- ASUS MyLogo2
- ASUS C.P.R.
- ASUS EZ Flash
- Support S/PDIF out interface
- ASUS CrashFree2 BIOS
- ASUS Instant Music Lite
- ASUS Multi-language BIOS
- ASUS Q-Fan
- Overclock Features – ASUS JumperFree
- Memory, Vlink voltage adjustable
- SFS(Stepless Frequency Selection) from 200 MHz up to 300MHz at 1MHz increment
- Back Panel I/O Ports –
- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
- 1 x PS/2 Mouse
- 1x Audio I/O
- 1x SPDIF OUT
- Internal I/O connectors –
- 2x USB2.0 connector supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports
- 20-pin ATX power connector
- 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
- CPU /chassis/Fan connectors
- CD/ AUX audio in
- GAME port connector
- SPDIF_OUT connector
- BIOS Feature – 4Mb Flash EEPROM AMI BIOS with enhanced ACPI,DMI,PnP
- ASUS EZ Flash, ASUS Mylogo2, ASUS Q-Fan, SM BIOS 2.3, Crash-Free BIOS2
- Form Factor – ATX 12"*9.6" (30.5cm*24.5cm)
This motherboard comes with a Brownish Black PCB.Normally Asus provides
a bland looking brownish yellow coloured PCB,this time though there is
a change, a good one ofcourse.
THe PCI slots are yellow in colour,so are the 2 memory slots.THe AGP slot is the conventional brown coloured one.
It is quite a good thing that Asus has come up with a Fancy motherboard
as compared to the earlier boards.It should be noted that in an attempt
to make it fancy,Asus hasn’t compromised on the trademark Asus
features…Stability,Quality,Overclockability and many more.This is
If you compare the Specifications of the Asus K8V and the K8V Deluxe
version, you will notice that there aren’t many differences in it.
The major one being the different version of onboard Promise RAID controller.
Let’s have alook at it.
There is another new change to this motherboard compared to the earlier
board.The front panel Connectors.These are colour coded.THis is not
done for cosmetic effect but for ease while installation.This helps a
lot while connecting the front panel connectors.
Have a look,