Here I am really excited you to show some point on the latest MSI’s BIG Bang Fuzion. The fervently expected motherboard which is based on a Lucid’s Hydra technology. This time, MSI is the Big Bang Trinergy in our test, which places the emphasis on the multi-GPU mode. Normally, the P55 chipset motherboards are the only one of x8 links will be provided so that the cards on full power cannot go out. To get around this installed MSI adding NF200 chip, which allows that to address the cards in SLI or CrossFire mode with full access. In addition, triple SLI and CrossfireX is possible with higher bandwidths of x16, x8 and x8.
The Trinergy is the first motherboard in the "Big Bang" series and more will follow, including one with the Lucid Hydra-chip mixed operation between Nvidia and ATI makes cards. And an unusual motherboard on our test stand. An exact date for this version is not yet known, while the MSI Trinergy Big Bang will be available shortly. In addition to these the NF200 chip, the motherboard still has a few other nice features that we will explain in more detail in the following pages. In addition, we also explain their NF200 chip, and will see how he does in practice.
Small Description on Lucid’s Hydra technology:
It is called as HYDRA 100. It is a types of motherboard computer chip. This chip is specially designed to provide multiple GPU’s work with each other by a linear scaling of the entire performance. It is developed by the Lucid Company. This simply means that the GPU in a computer will perform same as the added extra GPU. HYDRA 100 is a new hardware solution while CrossFire or SLI belongs to Software or Drivers solution. In simple work to understand the working of this technology you can think that this multi GPU technology is designed to cut off an commands of Microsoft DirectX or OpenGL coming from the processor and the same is divided evenly among the available GPU’s.
The MSI Big Bang – Trinergy is an costly board which shows up price of $349 approx. The primary focus of this review is on gaming performance played in system with multiple GPU;s connected on the board. In comparison to MSI GD-65 the Trinergy does not lac the sleep mode recovery on higher BCLKs. One more area for which is in concern is the GD-65 Memory overclocking. According to MSI they have managed to recognize the problem and they have a fixed BIOS for that.
The Lynnfield processor from Intel is coming up very shortly, and the processor will strike in the trade. Needed more than minor the P55 chipset from the same home will have found this, from the already diverse images of numerous motherboards in recent weeks, the way to the Internet.
And now another candidate is known, but one thing does differently than the other colleagues. MSI will send besides the already known models, yet another P55 mainboard on the market that The code-named "Big Bang" takes. As a special feature to pay the board, although the oft-mentioned but not yet really understood Hydra chip from Lucid. This run is designed to ATI, and Nvidia graphics cards in multi-GPU setups, without resorting to the need Crossfire or SLI. Even the rendering technology is to be the same as AFR.
Although still not exactly know how the hydra-chip works, there should be three different versions of the chip – and thus perhaps also three different motherboards. One version will allow to combine two ATI accelerator, for example, a Radeon HD 4890 4830. with a Radeon HD Another does the same job on the Nvidia site (for example GeForce GTX 260 with GeForce GTS 250), while the third is to allow mixed ATi and Nvidia cards. Just the realization of this latter option sounds the most remarkable.
- Quantum Wave Audio Processing : Big Bang gaming motherboard features Quantum Wave audio processing, THX combing TruStudio PC with Creative EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 to deliver the most powerful and realistic gaming audio performance available from any motherboard.
- THX TruStudio PC : Featuring THX TruStudio PC created by THX, Quantum Wave can deliver the fullest audio experience for games, music and movies while remaining true to the source and intention of the artists who created it.
- EAX ADVANCED HD : EAX stands for Environmental Audio eXtensions and is a programming interface that Allows developers to access the special features of Sound Blaster cards. Compared to the previous generations, the latest EAX 5.0 allows users to have more realistic and incredibly immersive audio to games!
- 100% Hi-Cap c : For a hardcore gamer, stability is the # 1 criteria for choosing a gaming rig. The server-grade
- Hi-Cap c can Ensures a longer operational for gaming systems in an extreme condition and enhanced system stability.
- OC genius : Push to overclock in 1 second
- MSI’s original invention, a fully automatic, smart overclocking chip.
- It will automatically detect the optimal settings for your individual system
- One second overclocking
- World’s first true overclocking processor
- 36% performance boost
- Overclock 4 core clock & B OC ratio by Genie
- SuperPipe : Decrease of temperature by 50 ° C
- The thick 8mm heatpipe design.
- A surface increase of more than 56% compared to other competitors.
- 8mm extra thick heatpipe.
- 60% thicker than traditional heatpipe.
- Thick heatpipe used on motherboards.
- 50 ° C lower temperature.
- DrMOS : 1 phase DrMOS> 4 Phase Traditional MOSFET
- 3-in-1 server class power component, 400% faster than traditional MOSFET
- Offers excellent energy-saving capability and high-performance computing.
- Excellent energy-saving capability and offers high-computing performance.
- Provide superior energy-saving function and maintain at ultimate low temperature operation.
- Comes with three incredible features.
More Features :
- Provide CPU Vcore, VTT, DDR, PCH Voltage measure value
- Key part’s voltage measurement for all end-users
- APS is Active Phase Switching is complete function to Control Power Demand With Switcing Dynamically, it’s for
- CPU, Memory and Chipset PWM.
- Saving Power under Variable Loading.
- Power Usage More Efficiency.
- MSI Power eSATA. ESATA devices normally need an extra power cable via an adapter or an extra USB. This combo port supplies the needed power, so no extra USB cable for power is needed. MSI Power eSATA is transferring data at 8x faster than normal USB ports.
- The loss-less content protection technology with full-rate audio enjoyment from Blue-ray Disc
- Support for 24-bit / 192kHz sample rate offers high quality digital decoders and speakers
- Support 7.1 channels playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo outputs
- The MSI Live Update online is designed to automatically download and update the BIOS and driver when there’s a new version online. It helps reduce the risk of getting the wrong file and minimize the trouble of searching the files from MSI website.
- Equip with 2 or more PCIe x16 slots, ATI CrossFire Ready.
- The ultimate multi-GPU performance gaming platform.
- Provides 2.7x faster performance than single graphic card solution.
- Provide CPU Vcore, VTT, DDR, PCH ultimate voltage adjustment switch
- Instantly break voltage limitation without any hardware modification
- Instant CPU Base Clock adjustment
- Hardware low latency control
- Attain hardware overclocking performance at all circumstances
- With the dual-current ESD protection chip, USB Safeguard can ideally protect your motherboard from the potential damage caused by static electricity when inserting USB devices.
- Faster and Flexible and instant
- If the BIOS crash, it still can boot from USB Drive
- Update the BIOS from USB Flash Drive by M-function
- Functions designed with button to be easy use.
- Help power-users tweaking process in-chassis environment
- Onboard SATA ports are stacked on the main board to avoid mechanical issue with giant graphic cards like 8800 Ultra.
- Live Update 4 is a single utility software that automatically checks BIOS, driver and utility updates and installs for you, which can save your time for searching and lower the risk while updating.
With the included OC dashboard it is possible to overclock the system during operation and in real time. It is on the I / O panel is connected by cable and thus can easily regulate everything. Pushing a button you can, for example, the CPU, PCH, VTT and DDR voltages increase or decrease. Also to read the temperatures and fan speeds, the Dashboard is suitable. The "work" with the Dashboard is proving to be very simple and easily goes from the hand. Changing the voltage or the BCLKs place immediately after the "Enter".
Another feature is the function of OC-genius. With this function it is possible to have the system automatically overclock to. To this end, a small processor is installed on the MSI, which is to identify a stable system. It will automatically load the CPU and memory clock frequencies of the set, so that everything is stable also be adjusted to the tension. In the test it worked, unfortunately, not as desired. The Xeon X3470 has been operated with 19×190, giving a clock speed of 3600Mhz. However, the voltage was increased to 1.4 V, the CPU consumption actually less than 1.2 V for this clock. The VTT / IMC voltage was increased to 1.4 V, Intel gives them freely but only to 1.21 V. Only the voltage for the memory remains at 1.65 V, while this was running at a frequency of 950Mhz. The latencies were set at CL9-9-9-28
There is not so big changes in this part.
The CPUs’ normally gives out the same speed and performance as all the P55 boards are. The thing which seems tricky is 8GB of memory over the 1600Mhz+ when you are selecting the Advance Dram Timing Menu. All the sub-timings should be manually changed by the user as and when the frequency is increased. Others like Gigabyte, Asus, etc does not possess this issue in their board.
In the Core i5-750 CPU the frequency while overclocking lies between 4 – 4.1 Ghz. On the other hand Intel Core i7-870 Processor jumps to 4.2Ghz. Both the CPU needs a Vcore around 1.37V (full load), and the VDIMM around 1.65V. Other voltages are set to default. The board is stable.
The board has a nice features and support for components like Realtek ALC 889 HD audio codec which is on a dedicated sound card. A Realtek PCI-E RTL8111D Gigabit LAN controller, etc.
The BIOS is quiet good and many significant amounts of settings are available for overclocking. The Call Menu is the place where the action take place with a numerous range of adjustments. This includes the CPU Core, PLL, VDinmm, etc. One of the best features of this board is that the changes of frequency and timings are direcly visible in the BIOS. The profiles or settings used for Overclocking can be saved and used again back. You can save, load or make them run individually as you want. It works on all available 6 slots.
The things which lack is that Fan control option. It is not improved on P55 board. The selection range is targeted from 40°C to 70°C with the minimum fan speed settings. The Fan headers can only be used to change the speed but not the controlling option as the temperature changes.
- The mainboard BIOS provides "Plug & Play" BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically.
- The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications.
Version A7580IMS.110, A7580IMS.111 & A7580_T1.121
CPU Fan speed Control Via BIOS&OS (temp/speed), additional fan headers have 3 step speed control only (via BIOS and OS software)
The layout :
All capacitors are replaced to tantalum types. This make the board more stable and away from capacitor failures for a long term. MSI is giving 8 year warranty on promotion on the Trinergy board but condition applies. Otherwise under normal conditions you will get 3 year warranty. All the power support is properly designed to give out maximum work by using the ~30 amp FETs for CPU VCC. The onboard cooling utility which is fixed with screws and mounted heatsinks with the CPU PWM are properly linked with NF200 section with a heat pipe. A small fan towards the heatsink is enough capable of getting most heat out of the heat pipe and the same transfers heat very well in each portion.
At the lower edge you can see the CMOS and the OC Genie buttons. There are 2 USB and one 1394 located. At the bottom you can see the three buttons Power, reset, and green power. The LED’s for the same are on the front right. In the right side you can see IDE Connector with 6 black SATA ports i.e. Intel P55 PCH and 4 blue (JMicron JMB322 ). MSI has provided a electrical current measuring points on all the rails. For the use of multi-meter MSI has provided with set of leads on the board for test points. The back side comprises of I/O panel connection. This set has a PS/2 keyboard, PS/2 mouse, OC Dashboard connector, 8 x USB 2.0, 2 x ESATA (USB combo), and 2 x RJ45 LAN ports (Realtek RTL8111DL PCI-E).
1. The interface of CPU is LGA-1156
2. Intel P55 chipset :
- Supports up to QPI 6.4GT / s
- Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0) controller, 480Mb/sec.
- 6 SATAII ports with transfer rate up to 3Gb / s.
- PCI Master v2.3, I / O APIC.
- ACPI 2.0 compliant.
- Serial ATA RAID 0/1/5/10.
- Integrated AHCI controller.
3. NVIDIA NF200 chipset :
- Supports four unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 1066/1333/1600 * / 1800 * / 2000 * / 2133 * (OC) SDRAM, 16GB Max –
- Supports 1Gb / 2Gb / 4Gb DRAM size
- Supports dual channel mode
4. Slots :
- 3 PCI Express Gen2 x16 slots
- PCI_E2 / PCI_E4 / PCI_E5 slots will be x16 / x16 / x0 or x16 / x8 / x8
- Supports ATI CrossFire and NVIDIA SLI
- 2 PCI Express gen2 x1 slots — Only PCI_E1 supports installing the Realtek ® audio card
- 2 PCI slots, support 3.3V / 5V PCI bus Interface
- On-Board IDE / SATA
- One Ultra DMA 66/100/133 IDE controller integrated in JMicron 363rd –
Supports PIO, Bus Master operation modes.
Can connect up to two Ultra ATA drives.
5. Chipset :
- SATAII controller integrated in Intel P55/JMicron 322 / 363 –
- Up to 3Gb / s transfer speed.
- Supports six SATAII ports (SATA1 ~ SATA6) by P55
- Supports four SATAII ports (SATA7 ~ SATA10) by JMicron 322, support SATA RAID 0/1/JBOD.
- Supports two eSATA / USB combo port by JMicron 363rd
- Supports AHCI controller with AHCI / SATA RAID 0/1/5/10 by P55.
- SATA7 & SATA8 support RAID 0 / 1 & JBOD mode by 1st JMicron ® JMB322
- SATA9 & SATA10 support RAID 0 / 1 & JBOD mode by 2nd JMicron ® JMB322 MSI Reminds You …
- The RAID setup floppy disk is optional depending on the districts. You can download the files from the website to make the setup disk. –
- Audio –
- Audio card QuantumWave —
- Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
- THX TruStudio PC
- Creative Alchemy
- 7.1 channel high definition audio codec with jack sensing
- Chipset integrated by Realtek ALC889 —
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec
- Meet Microsoft Vista Premium spec
- For better audio performance, we recommend installing THX
- MSI Reminds You … –
- Based on different PC case design, please remove the screw near the 1st PCI-e slot if there is any issue on the installation of the audio card.
- Supports two PCI Express LAN 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Realtek 8111DL.
- IEEE1394 / FireWire
- VIA chipset VT6315N –
- Supports up to two 1394 ports. (Rear panel x1, pinheader x1)
- Transfer rate is up to 400Mbps.
- Internal I / O Connectors –
- ATX 24-pin power connector
- 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
- CPU x 1 / System x 4 FAN connectors
- CD-in connector
- Front panel audio connector
- Front panel connector
- 1 x chasis intrusion connector
- 2 x USB 2.0 connectors
- 10 x SATAII connectors
- 1 x ATA133 connector
- 1 x IEEE1394 connector support additional 1 port
- 1 x Green Power Button
- 1 x Reset Button
- 1 x Power Button
- 1 x Clear CMOS button
- 1 x SPDIF-out connector
- 1 x TPM module connector
- 1 x OC genius button
- 1 x Over-voltage switch & 1 voltage set checkpoint
- 1 x CPU phase LED panel MSI Reminds You …
- The floppy disk cable will be optional. –
- Back Panel I / O ports
- 1 x PS / 2 Keyboard
- 1 x PS / 2 Mouse
- 2 x eSATA / USB combo ports
- 1 x IEEE1394 port
- 8 x USB 2.0 ports
- 2 x RJ45 LAN Jack
- 1 x D-LED2 panel connector
6. Dimension :
- 30.5cm (L) x 24.4cm (W) ATX Form Factor
- 9 mounting holes.
More info :
- The BCLK Speeds is BCLK Speeds
- It supports DDR3 RAM and the speed support is 800, 1067, 1333 Frequency Ratios
- The Uncore Frequency is Fixed at 16x or 18x according to CPU model class
- The board gives Auto, 90MHz-190MHz in 1MHz increments (100MHz stock) of PCIe Speeds
- 0.9V ~ 2.1V in 0.00625V increments is the core voltage.
- The Memory Slots on the board are :
- Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM Slots
- Dual-Channel Configuration
- Regular Unbuffered DDR3 Memory to 16GB Total
- And the other Expansion Slots are :
- 3 – PCIe 2.0 x16, PEG slot 1 @ x16. PEG2 @ x16 (x8 when all PEG slots filled), PEG 3 @ x8
- 2 – PCIe X1 (1 MSI supplied audiocard dedicated)
- 2 – PCI Slot 2.2
- Today’s test sample is the MSI P55 Big Bang – Trinergy and has an MSRP of $349.
- The Onboard SATA/RAID is :
- 6x SATA 3.0Gbps Ports – Intel Chipset
- Hot Plug and NCQ Support, RAID 0, 1, 5 RAID 0+1 Support & Intel Matrix Technology Support
- 4 JMicron JMB322
- The Onboard USB 2.0/IEEE-1394 is :
- 6x SATA 3.0Gbps Ports – Intel Chipset
- Hot Plug and NCQ Support, RAID 0, 1, 5 RAID 0+1 Support & Intel Matrix Technology Support
- 4 JMicron JMB322
- LAN – Realtek RTL 8111DL X2 (PCI/e)
- Audio – Realtek ALC 888S – 7.1 Channel with software level support for EAX 5.0 and Creative TruStudio PC)
7. Connectors :
- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard
- 2 x eSATA (JMicron JMB362)
- 2 x IEEE 1394
- 2 x RJ45
- 8 x USB 2.0/1.1
8. Warranty :
- 3 year.
Find A conclusion is the MSI Trinergy Big Bang is not easy, because the board believes on the one side, but a little disappointed on the other. It is positive to any event of the delivery, because this is really big and fast fingers on the order button so it is even greater from (and pocket gaming mouse / pad). The sound card has a good sound and has to hide from other sound cards do not OC, and the dashboard is useful to overclocking, and build very clear. In addition, MSI has the Big Bang, a 2D excellent performance in benchmark tests.
In the Crossfire benchmark has his nose in front, but the performance advantage is very small. The NF200 is thus making a bit noticeable, but whether this chip are 2-4 frames worth, is another question. For thus we come to the main point of criticism and that is the price. Sale will start with the motherboard cost 329 € and if the prices of other P55 boards look, it’s loosely a doubling of the price. The scope of supply justifies it on the one hand, the performance in overclocking unfortunately not. For here is the MSI Big Bang Trinergy achieved only average values. Who still wants to have a motherboard of the luxury class, which does not have anyone who can still strike, and thus has acquired a very solid motherboard.
- Much Accessories
- Very good 2D performance
- Good layout (points, etc)
- Very high price
- Low OC potential
- NF200 hardly takes advantage