Kingston came up with an extremely useful idea of sharing content over an independent wifi network in small storage device called as Wi-Drive. With maximum 128GB storage you can carry your entire video, files, music, etc on a thin storage device and share it with anyone through wifi connectivity. Wifi is one of the most common standards available today. Almost all laptops, Smartphone and tablets come with integrated wifi device. With Wi-Drive you can create a small hotspot at your home or office and share the files. There is no need to configure an ip address, modify network sharing stuff, etc. Just power it on and it starts working. Wi-Drive is basically designed for portable devices only. You can use it on Windows, Mac or Linux to upload or remove files from it. Kingston Wi-Drive is a memory expansion pack for your portable devices. You do not need to rely on the limitation of internal storage. It has an internal battery which is capable of giving you 4 hours of battery power. Once your device is connected to the Wi drive other networks will be disconnected. It is a kind of small wifi device that has it its own unique IP address (192.168.200.254). The devices work on Debian based OS which controls and manages the connections. Wi-Drive offers a universal connectivity to all the portable devices. It does not matter if you are on Android or iOS. Wi-Drive supports iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, etc. This are the most commonly used devices. Due to internal limitation you might worry to add more media content. Wi-Drive comes in 32GB/, 64GB and 128GB storage size. So that is more than enough to carry files. You can copy all the files in it and then just turn it on. At a time the devices allows more than 3 devices connectivity. The link speed detected commonly is around 72mbps.
That is quiet high connectivity bandwidth on wifi, but we can expect maximum from it. I had tested the drive on Samsung Galaxy S3. To use it you have to install Wi-Drive application from Google Play. Without that it will be detected through IP (192.168.200.254). You can access the same drive by typing the IP address in the device web browser if there is no application available. All the content will be displayed in the browser. By tapping on the video file it will ask you the default player to view video just like other file manager software. There are certain limitation of Wi-Drive. The idea from Kingston is to give a freedom of storage and connectivity. Also like usb devices the drive does not depend on the battery of Smartphone or tablet. The design is very compact. It is thin and fits easily inside your pocket. The idea of Wi-Drive is to offer a portable wifi hotspot with its embedded OS that can offer easy connectivity without the need of router or modem. When you connect a device to the Wi-Drive it offers a temp IP to the same to access media files like a router does. So it is like you are carrying a small wireless network in your pocket. With media sharing, Wi-Drive also offers you a protected storage through WEP and WPA protection standards. You can modify the settings directly by typing the IP address in your device browser. Wi-Drive does not work with Windows or MAC PC. But you can add it on the network and shared it on the wireless network.
- Compaq Design: With Wi-Fi and Flash stooge it offers you a stable connectivity with robust design.
- Storage: With maximum 128 GB maximum storage space you can carry HD videos also.
- File Sharing: Through simple settings you can share the media content among 3 devices.
- Multiplatform Wifi: Due to common wifi standards the device is capable of working with numerous mobile, Smartphone and tablet pc.
- Standard Wifi Protocol: Wi-Drive works on 802.11g/n protocol which is widely used among many devices.
- Battery: Up to 4 hours of battery life with USB 2.0 connectivity cable.
- Dimensions — 121.5mm x 61.8mm x 9.8mm
- Wireless Network Interface — Wi-Fi 802.11g/n with wireless security (WPA/WEP)
- Rechargeable Battery — up to four hours of continuous use
- Local Storage2 — wirelessly transfer files to and from the Wi-Drive App and the Wi-Drive hardware
- Bridged network connection option — allows you to access the Internet while using Wi-Drive’s content
- Cable — miniUSB to USB cable included User can upload files and content from their PC/Mac to the Wi-Drive using the USB cable
- Convenient — pocket-sized for easy transportability
- Guaranteed — one-year warranty
- Free Wi-Drive Apps4 with Additional Features — downloadable at Apple’s App Store, Google Play and Amazon Appstore
- Customizable Device Name (SSID) User selectable Wi-Fi priority list when there are multiple APN/Key available
- File Support5 — Wi-Drive can store any file type, but playback and viewing is based on the files that are supported by the mobile device.
- General file format support6: Audio: MP3, WAV. Video7: m4V, mp4 (H.264 video codec). Image: jpg, tif. Document: pdf
- Operating Temperature — 32°F to 122°F (0°C to 50°C)
- Storage Temperature — 14°F to 158°F (-10°C to 70°C)
Kingston is not the only first to create wifi storage. But it is the first to create a compact wireless file sharing model. You can see the design below in images. It is very thin and even smaller than a regular Smartphone. Wi-Drive uses flash chips to store data. So it offers you a faster rate of data transfer speed. Depending on the Wifi connectivity it is capable of giving you high speed data transfer ratio. You can stream HD videos instantly among different devices without buffering. Along with simple design it is also very simple to operate. The body is made up of mixture of plastic material with glossy finish. There is nothing on the entire body. No screws or hooks that can conflict with the design. The back part consist of a model and serial info. It also very thin. You can see the thickness in image. This due to flash chips. Kingston can also provide a regular 2.5” internal hard drive in it which might increase the capacity but it will affect the design and kill durability. All is all it is a nice concept by Kingston to provide such a compact wireless storage media.
Wi-Drive has a reset button and a power button the left side. The power button has a light indicator in it which tells you the battery charge. The power light changes colour based on the battery life left. If the battery is has higher than 50% charge left the light will stay green. Below that it will turn into orange and when there is only 10 to 25% of battery left the light will be red. At that point you have to charge it. Kingston Wi-Drive comes with USB 2.0 cable. There is no charger provided with it. You can hook it to your laptop or pc and charge it.
Connectivity & File Sharing:
As I had said above it offers you a USB 2.0 interface. It is a plug and play device. After connecting there are two partitions displayed. One is the CD/DVD Drive and the second is the Removable storage to transfer songs. It is not possible to create separate partitions in it. Wi-Drive operates on FAT32 file partition format and it is strictly recommended that you do not modify to NTFS. There will be a connectivity failure. A number of Smartphone and tablet does not read NTFS file system. The DVD drive is the OS or you can configuration utility of Wi-Drive. When you access the drive by typing the IP address in browser, the DVD drive is used. It has the entire configuration file. As it has a Debian based OS if you are a Linux expert you can make changes to that directly. In terms of connection Wi-Drive is not a complicated model. For Android and iOS Kingston offers a separate utility. Without this you can access the content only through web browser. To connect you will have to switch your Wifi network to Wi-Drive. All other wifi network connected will be disabled for some time. This is not a flaw but limitation of wifi devices. I do not think there is any smart device which is able to manage multiple wifi networks on a single device. So if you are using internet then it will not work unless you disconnect your device from Wi-Drive.
Kingston Wi-Drive is a good device but it is a bit overcharged. If we compare this with GoFlex Satellite Mobile Wifi Storage then we are having many things. What we will not get is a good and durable design that no drive has till now. GoFlex operates on a 2.5”internal hard drive. It is risky to carry when you are on vacation because these devices are not shock proof. Wi-Drive on the same hand is much more durable and there is no movable parts in it. Kingston’s Wi-Drive is a compact sleek wireless storage hotspot. A product beneficial for those who want to extend their storage ability more with a standard device which is enough compact to have its own wifi controller.
- Compact Design.
- Light Weight
- Plug and Play
- Multiplatform Support
- High Speed Media Streaming
- Only 4 hour’s battery life.
- No option to use Wi Drive on PC through Wifi.
- Multiple Wifi connection in the same network can cause problem.
- No NTFS File System support.
- Costly as per the storage size