BenQ W1070+ falls under the new generation projectors. Common features are HD projection, 3D Ready and simple setup. We had already tested a few high end projectors from BenQ which has proved amazing in terms of quality. Today we will be finding a bit more about BenQ W1070+. This one is an extended range that holds wireless connectivity. That means you can project a video from your Blu-Ray Player, Media Player, directly to the projector through Wireless Kit. Unfortunately this wireless kit is not included in the package. You have to pay extra for that. The cost of BenQ W1070+ lies around Rs.1,10,000/- approximately. It is a costly model, but it is also loaded with ample of unique features. It's a full HD projector. Watching movies is great on it. It is essential to setup it properly. There must be a decent distance between the projector and you, so that you won't get any blurry lines.
BenQ W1070+ has a short throw DLP projector ideal for home and office usage. It also brings 3D ready support that can let you to have theater type effects at your home. 3D glasses are offered by Nvida, which are not included in the package. Being a costly model, it is essential to have all the accessories in it, so that users don't have to pay anything extra. It's a low point for BenQ W1070+. Another big issue that I had seen is heating problem. The top part gets really hot while using the same. We will be testing out this thing in more details. Let's have a look on its features and specification first.
- Wireless Support through Wifi Kit
- 3D Support
- Easy Setup
- Fluid Cross-Room Streaming
- DFS Anti-Interference Performance
- 10W Immersive Sound Performance
- Side Projection with Horizontal Keystone Correction
- 100” Big Picture at 2.5 Meters with Short-throw Projection
- Flexible Zoom & Lens Shift
- Full HD 1080p Picture Performance
- 6X-Speed RGBRGB Color Wheel
- Independent Color Management
- Superior Contrast Performance with DarkChip3
- High Native ANSI Contrast Ratio
- Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL)
- BenQ’s SmartEco Technology
- DLP Technology
- Razor-Sharp Clarity with Ultra-Readability
- Projection System – DLP (Darkchip 3)
- Native Resolution – 1080p (1920 x 1080)
- Brightness – 2,200 ANSI Lumen
- Contrast Ratio – 10,000:1
- Display Color – 1.07 Billion Colors
- Lens – F= 2.59 – 2.87, f= 16.88 – 21.88 mm
- Aspect Ratio – Native 16:9 (5 aspect ratio selectable)
- Throw Ratio – 1.15 – 1.5 (100" @2.5M)
- Image Size (Diagonal) – 40" – 235"
- Zoom Ratio – 1.3:1
- Lamp Type – 240W
- Lamp(Normal/Economic Mode/SmartEco Mode) – 3500 / 5000 / 6000 hours
- Keystone Adjustment – 2D, Vertical & Horizontal +/- 30 degrees
- Projection Offset – Vertical 110% – 130% ±5%
- Resolution Support – Up to WUXGA
- Horizontal Frequency – 31K ~ 102KHz
- Vertical Scan Rate – 23 – 120Hz
- Interface – Computer in (D-sub 15pin) x 1, HDMI x 2, MHL x 1 (shared with HDMI 2), Composite Video in (RCA) x 1, Component Video in x 1, Audio in (Mini Jack) x 1, Audio L/R in (RCA) x 1, Audio out (Mini Jack) x 1, Chamber Speaker 10W x 1, USB (Type A) x1 (for 1.5V power supply), USB (Type Mini B) x1 (for service),RS232 (DB-9pin) x 1 & DC 12V Trigger x 1.
- Dimensions(W x H x D) – 312 x 104 x 244 mm
- HDTV Compatibility – 480i, 480p, 576i, 567p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- Video Compatibility – NTSC, PAL, SECAM
- Weight – 2.75 KG
- Audible Noise – 31 / 28 dBA (Normal / Economic mode)
- Power Consumption – 353W / 110V (typical), Standby < 0.5W
BenQ W1070+ comes in a compact size. It is easy to setup. First thing you need to do is find out the right place to fix it. So that it won't give you much problem while using. There is a simple lens shift on top that helps you to adjust the lenses mode in portrait or landscape mode. There must be a decent distance so that the screen quality does not get blurry. I think a 4 to 5 meter distance from the projection screen will give you amazing HD quality. Compared to VGA, it works lot more better on HDMI.
The lens is placed at the front left with a IR receiver. A vent also lies on the front right part which pushes out hot air. There is a Quick release button at the center bottom which can help you to simply adjust the projection screen up and down.
All connectivity is placed on the backside. Starting from the extreme left there are two HDMI ports. The second one is HDMI with MHL support. That means you can connect your android device to the projector through MHL cable. It also supports charging. The third port is a 12VDC output terminal. The fourth port is similar to usb port which is only for the Wireless HD kit. After that you can see a VGA port. The RCA ports are just next to that with Audio L/R jack. And at the end there is audio input/output port.
The speaker is placed on the left side. Audio quality is nice but the sound affects does not work very well on full volume.
A full control panel is on the top side. The same functions are manageable through the projector remote. There is lens zoom ring and lens shift lever also. Zoom ring can help you to adjust the blurry level and lens shift will provide you options to rotate the projection screen.
Functions of BenQ W1070+ Projector are extremely easy. It might take some time to adjust it properly and get the screen properly on the projection screen. You can use arrow keys on it to adjust the screen angle. There is a grid available that you can turn on from the Menu and then adjust the screen properly and later on turn it off. The image quality varies on the basis of connectivity. Like images are more amazing on HDMI compared to VGA, if you are willing to use a pc or a laptop on the same.
BenQ W1070+ can automatically identify the image source. When you turn it on, it usually gives you option to choose one or you can keep that on auto. It is quite comfortable to use it through a remote. It is a compact model ideal for home and office usage. High quality images and videos just look amazing on this. It is a full HD compatible projector where it offers you a full 1080p resolution. Low quality images gets blurry on that. You can find that in our video review. There are different modes that can let you to load preconfigured settings for making the screen output a lot better. For example the cinema mode. High brightness and high contract makes thing quite detailed and punchy on the screen. The projection screen also plays an important role. If the background is dark, you get more clear and detailed images. You have to sit at a good distance to get your eyes adjusted with the big screen size. PC support allows you to connect your laptop and run presentations on the same. 3D functions add a bit more entertainment. The benefit of having BenQ W1070+ is that you can configure a wireless projection at your home and office. But that needs a separate kit. The projector does have a wireless device integrated in it. You have to buy BenQ Wireless Full HD Kit WDP01 for the same. This kit comes for $320 approx on Amazon.
And the same is applicable to the 3D glasses also. BenQ must add atleast one among them in the package. This limits the usage and also makes it a bit costlier. It gets bit brighter than some other projector models and the image result is also high. For audio the speaker is good enough to watch movies and listen to music. It produces a nice amount of loud audio. But you cannot expect surround sound theater type effects on the same. It offers average sound quality. It is better to get a good surround speaker set if you want theater type of movie experience. While for office usage I think the audio which it offers is more than enough.
Sample Pics (Click on expand)-
BenQ W1070+ Projector is a decent but costly model. Its price marked on the box is Rs.1,10,000. This does not include the 3D glasses and the wireless HD kit in the package. Adding that with the projector makes it more costly. Atleast the wireless HD kit would extend the usage if it comes in the box. BenQ W1070+ Projector is a kind of plug and play design. With minimum setup you can get a big screen size and have amazing display on your home or office. It is obvious that placement really matters a lot here for the quality. Or else you won't be satisfied. The internal speaker produces a loud amount of audio but lacks sound effects for good movie experience. There is low end variation model also available under BenQ where you get cheaper model with non-3D and non-wifi model. But mostly the picture quality will be very much similar.
- Great Picture Quality
- Easy Setup
- No 3D Glasses
- No Wireless Kit
- Heats a lot