Transcend offers a 2.5-inch external drive with all the latest USB 3.0 ports. The StoreJet 25D3 is easily portable and shock resistant. With a capacity of 500 GB, it can also be used on computers with only USB 2.0 ports. It has an activity light colors. Let’s see how it behaves in situations.
The first external drives with USB 3.0 models were available 3.5-inch, reluctant to move. The StoreJet 25D3 thus marks the arrival of USB 3.0 with 2.5 inch disks. You will not break your wallet, because the overhead of the interface is modest: $160 for the 500 GB USB 3.0 models instead of $150 for the USB 2.0 version (StoreJet25D2).
Moreover, the transition is going smoothly since the disc can also be plugged into a USB 2.0 port. Transcend Paper 3.0/2.0 miniUSB cable comes with a comfortable length of 99 cm. For computers that do not have a sufficient power supply to a USB port, a power cable to connect a second USB port is provided, and a carrying case. With his weight of 188 g and its compact size (13 x 8.2 x 1.7 cm), the StoreJet 25D3 is easily transported. Its design is simple and is designed to withstand shocks and small waterfalls through a suspension system of internal disk. But be alert because it is not a real hard "hardened" and a significant fall could burst the housing.
2.7 times faster than USB 2.0
When you plug the disk, an activity LED positions towards the rear lights. The diode is located under the hull and is quite visible. In addition, it changes color depending on the interface (orange for USB 2.0 and blue for USB 3.0). Actual speeds were measured by transferring files in Windows 7, which was excellent.
For large DivX files, we have approximately 85 MB/s read and 83MB/s write. In comparison, the disk gets about USB 2.0 30MB/s read and 27MB/s write. Flows are therefore 2.7 times greater, which corresponds to the announcement of the manufacturer.
The StoreJet 25D3 turns slower reading than the Western Digital My Book (85 MB/s against 107 MB/s) but faster in write (83MB/s against 65MB/s). The rates are similar for reading small files, e.g. pictures, but the writing speed drops to 31MB/s. The gain is important, however, against the USB2.0 (18MB/s).
The StoreJet 25D3 is not only swift, but includes the excellent software "StoreJet Elite 3". This software requires no installation and runs directly on the disc. It offers backup features of "My Documents", folder synchronization and encryption of data. It also has the email from Windows Mail and Outlook and synchronizes the favorites of Internet Explorer and Firefox. Finally, you can surf the Web without leaving a trace. Transcend has also a small book format utility and PDF manuals.
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 compliant and backwards compatible with USB 2.0
- Connection bandwidth up to 5Gb/s
- Sleek, durable and shock-resistant
- Advanced internal hard drive suspension system
- Driver-free Plug and Play operation
- USB powered – no external adapter needed
- 256-bit AES files and folder encryption
- Power saving sleep mode
- Multicolor LED indicator light
- 3 years warranty
- Includes StoreJet Elite backup and security software
- Size: 129.9mm ×82.1mm ×17.3mm
- Operating Voltage: USB DC 5V
- Operating Temperature: 5°C (41°F) to 55°C (131°F)
- Storage Media: 2.5" SATA HDD
- Weight: 191g
- Certificates: CE, FCC, BSMI
- RPM: 5400
- Buffer: 8MB
- Interface: USB 2.0/3.0
- Power Saving Mode: 10 mins
- One Touch Backup: No
- Max Transfer Speeds: USB 2.0 up to 480 Mb/s, USB 3.0 up to 5Gb/s
- Desktop or notebook computer with a working USB port.
- One of following Operating Systems:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Linux Kernel 2.6.31 or later
- Mac OS X 10.4 or later (only USB 2.0 currently supported)
If your computer has USB 3.0 connectors (Transcend card does not ship with its disk controller), the StoreJet 25D3 offers great transfer speeds, especially for large files. With its compact body, you can easily take with you and use on computers that have only USB 2.0 ports. We just have to remember to take the cable.