Looking for an easy-to-use RSS and Atom reader for your Mac? You’ve found it! The Eddy award-winning NetNewsWire has a familiar three-paned interface and can fetch and display news from thousands of different websites and weblogs.
- HTML Archive feature – saves news items as HTML files on disk. These files are compatible with any web browser.
- Performance and memory enhancements including an improved Combined View which uses multiple pages to display long lists of items.
- Desktop integration: Spotlight, Address Book, iCal, iPhoto, Growl, Twitterific and more.
- More viewing options: Combined view, feed "cover art", full-screen mode, and tabs with thumbnails and animations.
- Sort by attention: NetNewsWire now tracks more information about what you do and can tell which feeds are most important to you.
- Printing: Page Setup and Print commands have been added to the File menu.
- Emailing: Two new commands appear in the File menu: one for emailing the contents of the news item or page, the other for emailing a link to the news item or page.
- Post to Del.icio.us: In the News menu is a new command: Post to del.icio.us. It works with the selected news item or the frontmost browser tab.
- Tabbed Browser: Open web pages in NetNewsWire’s browser and see them the same as in Safari with the convenience of staying in the same window. NetNewsWire remembers tabs between launches, so you come right back to where you left off last time.
- Three-Paneled Interface: The widescreen, three-column view is perfect for laptops and today’s monitors that have more horizontal space.
- Smart Lists: Gather news from all your feeds based on your criteria. It’s like smart playlists in iTunes – only for news instead of music.
- Flagged Items: Mark items that you want to keep; they stay forever or until you mark them as unflagged.
- Inline Summaries and Datelines: Show summaries and datelines in the headlines list to make skimming faster and easier – especially for the widescreen view.
- Versatile Headlines List: Add date, subject and creator columns to the headlines list – and sort on any of these columns.
- Persistence: Tell NetNewsWire how long to keep news items so you can still read them even after they disappear from the feed.
- Dinosaurs: Find feeds that haven’t updated in a long time via the Dinosaurs window.
- News Comes to You: Subscribe to feeds from all over the web – and from the built-in list of thousands of feeds in the Sites Drawer.
- Searching: Search your news items with a standard Apple search widget – as in Mail and other applications.
- Search-Result Subscriptions: Make special subscriptions that display results from search engines or from keyword searches.
- Podcasts and Enclosures: Automatically download podcasts and enclosures. Send podcasts to iTunes with your choice of genre and playlist.
- Automatic checking for newer versions of the software.
- Scripting and Automator: Control NetNewsWire with AppleScript – and with Automator too, if you’re running OS X 10.5 or greater. Add commands to NetNewsWire via the scripts menu.
- Scripted Feeds: Generate custom RSS and Atom feeds via AppleScript, Perl, Python, Ruby, and other scripting languages.