Calibre was designed to be a e-book library management application. Calibre is meant to be a complete e-library solution and thus includes, library management, format conversion, news feeds to ebook conversion as well as e-book reader sync features.
Features of Calibre
* Calibre is primarily a ebook cataloging program. It stores your ebook files in a database along with easily editable metadata describing each book. It is designed around the concept of the logical book, i.e. a single entry in the database that may correspond to ebooks in several formats.
It also supports extra metadata fields that can be searched on:
* Series: The series that a book belongs to
* Comments: A general purpose field that can be used to describe the book, add notes on it, etc.
* Tags: A flexible system to categorize books. You can tag any book with any custom tag to indicate subject, read status, category, etc.
* The database view also supports filtering by searching on the metadata. You can perform advanced searching on individual metadata fields by clicking the advanced search button to the left of the search bar.
* The books in the database can be saved to disk using the "Save to disk" button. All selected books are saved in a folder structure organized by Author and Title.
* You can fetch metadata for a book based on its ISBN number or its title/author, instead of manually entering the metadata. You can also fetch a cover image based on the ISBN number.
* Calibre supports conversion from (HTML, LIT, RTF, TXT, PDF(simple text+few images)) to the SONY ebook reader format LRF. An graphical interface to the conversion software can be accessed by clicking the "Convert E-books" button.
* The commandline access is via the command any2lrf. The conversion is very powerful and supports advanced typesetting features like tables, dropcaps, inline images, embedded fonts, etc. Full documentation of the features of the conversion software can be found at Conversion to LRF.
Syncing to E-reader Devices:
* Calibre has a modular device driver design that makes adding support for different e-reader devices easy. At the moment, it has support for the SONY PRS 500/505. Syncing supports updating metadata on the device from metadata in the library and the creation of collections on the device based on the tags defined in the library view. If an book has more than one format available, calibre automatically chooses the best format when uploading to the device.
· Add ability to control how author sort strings are automatically generated from author strings, via the config file tweaks.py
· Handle broken EPUB files from Project Gutenberg that have invalid OCF containers
· Closes tickets: 4832 [External link]
· Fix regression in 0.6.38 that broke setting bookmarks in the viewer
· HTML Input: Ignore filenames that are encoded incorerctly.
New news sources:
· Radikal by Darko Miletic