VLC media player
VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player that supports various audio and video formats (MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, DivX, mp3, ogg, …) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
The stream can be MPEG 2 TS in UDP or HTTP packets unicasted or multicasted on an IPv4 or IPv6 network. With VLC, there is no need to continually update many different codec packs. VLC comes with nearly every codec built in! And whats more, VLC can play back your files, even if the media is damaged! Missing or broken pieces wont stop VLC. All the video and audio information that remains can be played.
VLC can play:
- MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 / DivX files from a hard disk, a CD-ROM drive, and so on
- DVDs, VCDs, and Audio CDs
- From satellite cards (DVB-S)
- Several types of network streams: UDP/RTP Unicast, UDP/RTP Multicast, HTTP, RTSP, MMS, etc.
- From acquisition or encoding cards (on GNU/Linux and Windows only)
What’s new in 1.1.8:
Security update regarding video width concerning some demuxers
Support for a new Dirac encoder based on libschroedinger
Package of the new VP8/Webm encoder ‘Bali’
Notable updates in .mp4, .ogg, .ape demuxers
Major updates in most language translations
Fixes in skins2 supports of Winamp2 skins