OpenVPN application was designed to be a full-featured SSL VPN solution which can accomodate a wide range of configurations, including remote access, site-to-site VPNs, WiFi security, and enterprise-scale remote access solutions with load balancing.
OpenVPN implements OSI layer 2 or 3 secure network extension using the industry standard SSL/TLS protocol, supports flexible client authentication methods based on certificates, smart cards, and/or 2-factor authentication, and allows user or group-specific access control policies using firewall rules applied to the VPN virtual interface. OpenVPN is not a web application proxy and does not operate through a web browser.
Features of OpenVPN
· Tunnel any IP subnetwork or virtual ethernet adapter over a single UDP or TCP port,
· Configure a scalable, load-balanced VPN server farm using one or more machines which can handle thousands of dynamic connections from incoming VPN clients.
· Use all of the encryption, authentication, and certification features of the OpenSSL library to protect your private network traffic as it transits the internet.
· Use any cipher, key size, or HMAC digest (for datagram integrity checking) supported by the OpenSSL library.
· Choose between static-key based conventional encryption or certificate-based public key encryption.
· Use static, pre-shared keys or TLS-based dynamic key exchange.
· Use real-time adaptive link compression and traffic-shaping to manage link bandwidth utilization.
· Tunnel networks whose public endpoints are dynamic such as DHCP or dial-in clients.