Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "2009 Stereoscopic 3D Gaming Report" report to their offering.
Stereoscopic 3D has re-entered the mainstream via Hollywood and several thousand cinemas worldwide. This new wave of 3D movies has, to date, successfully out performed 2D movies on a revenue per screen basis. So far, this renewed interest has not found its way from the Cineplex to the living room for a variety of reasons, such as the limited stereoscopic 3D content, the lack of standards for distributing 3D content and the overall availability of 3D capable displays. The exception, however, is gaming. Today’s gamers can enjoy well over 400 game titles in S-3D when using an appropriately equipped PC and one of the S-3D capable monitors. Very recent developments include the ability to play S-3D games on gaming consoles and a 3D-capable TV, the release of the 3D game Avatar, as well as the release of the first 3D capable laptop computers.
What are the implications of these developments and is this trend sustainable in the future? Is this type of gaming compelling to the consumer? What do gamers think of S-3D? What does it take to develop an S-3D game? Who are the decision makers and what would motivate them to invest in an S-3D game? What are the implications for the hardware makers? How many Monitors, TVs, Laptops and Projectors will be needed over the next 5 years to satisfy this growing market? Which 3D technologies are the most compelling and why? Report Objective: The objective of this report is to give product planners and technologists involved with display devices (LCD, PDP, OLED and DLP), display related products (Monitors, TVs, Laptops and Projectors), and those involved in the video game industry, such as console makers, game publishers, game developers and gamers themselves, a detailed analysis of Stereoscopic 3D Gaming.
This report provides details about the various S-3D display technologies, software requirements for game development, a comprehensive overview of S-3D games available today, the perspective of gamers having played hundreds of hours of S-3D games, a description of 3D technologies, and most importantly, a detailed forecast of the S-3D gaming market.
Highlights: Overview of 2D & 3D Gaming Systems – Capabilities of the current generation of gaming consoles (Microsoft XBOX 360, Nintendo Wii, and Sony Playstation 3) and their ability to support S-3D gaming.
– Capabilities of the current generation of handheld gaming consoles (Nintendo DS, Sony PSP and Apple iPhone/iPod Touch) and their ability to support S-3D gaming.
– The role of the game engine and the implications of S-3D on the game engine.
S-3D Games in today’s market: – Discussion of the types of games in the market and the gamers that buy them.
– List of S-3D compatible game titles.
Detailed analysis of the value proposition of S-3D gaming: – How we set-up an S-3D gaming system; including what went right and what went wrong.
– S-3D hardware evaluation with monitors from Hyundai IT, iZ3D and Samsung (using NVIDIA’s 3D Vision System).
– Results of extensive play of 24 titles in S-3D.
– Gamer reactions to S-3D.
The Hardware to play S-3D games: – Overview of the various S-3D display devices available.
– Overview of S-3D technologies and the industry status.
Overview of the Gaming infrastructure: – Descriptions of video game companies.
– S-3D case studies featuring insights from Blitz Games Studios, Ubisoft and gaming parlor Eudemonia.
Market potential analysis and forecast: – Analysis of how to make S-3D gaming a part of the mainstream.
– Detailed market needs analysis of Desktop Monitors, Laptops, Televisions and Projectors with Market and Competitive Assumptions, by year, to 2014.
– 3D capable display unit forecast through 2014 by formfactor and technology Who Should Buy: – Stereoscopic 3D gaming system developers and publishers – 3D entertainment content developers – PC, graphics card and supporting hardware/software suppliers – Notebook, monitor, projector and TV manufacturers and component suppliers – Active and passive glasses suppliers/developers – Internet, cable, broadcast and satellite delivery companies and supply chains – Investors looking for information to support due diligence Key Topics Covered: 1 Methodology 2 Executive Summary 3 Overview of 2D & 3D Gaming Systems 4 Games Overview 5 Value Proposition of 3D Games 6 S-3D Game Case Study 7 How to Make S-3D Gaming Mainstream 8 Monitor Forecast 9 Laptop Forecast 10 TV Forecast 11 Projector Forecast 12 Appendix A: 3D Technology Overview 13 Appendix B: 3D Gaming Test Set-up 14 Appendix C: Video Game Companies 15 Appendix D: S-3D "Compatible" Games.