Water-Powered Ideas is pleased to announce the 1.3 release of Observation for iPhone and iPod touch. Observation is a tool to help amateur astronomers record observation logs in the field, providing the latest weather conditions, the NGC 2000.0 and Hipparcos catalogs of stars and objects and much more.
Observation lets amateur astronomers enter observation logs on their iPhone with automatic sky conditions and GPS coordinates, access to the entire NGC 2000.0 and partial Hipparcos catalog of objects, and custom lists of equipment. Hourly conditions, including seeing and transparency can be browsed at sites nearby to select the optimal observing location. Custom objects can be created on the fly during observation, and the observed RA, declination, and magnitude of existing objects can be recorded.
- Hourly conditions including seeing and transparency
- Automatic GPS & Conditions in log entries
- Stars and objects from the NGC 2000.0 and partial Hipparcos catalogs
- Creation of new, custom objects on the fly
- Custom Equipment entry for selection in log entries
- Observed RA, declination, and magnitude entry in log entries
- Log entries exported in CSV format
- Ability to tint the entire app red for use when dark-adapted
Changes in Version 1.3:
Log Entry Fields: Fields Observation automatically fills in can now be changed from their automatic defaults. This includes the date, longitude & latitude, seeing, and transparency fields.
- Fixed a crash on launch when location services are enabled.
- Fixed a bug related to log entry notes and scrolling.
- Integrated PLCrashReporter. If the app crashes, you’ll now see an alert the next time you run it asking if you wish to submit crash data back to Water-Powered Ideas anonymously. We highly recommend you do so.
- Fixed issues with custom location coordinate parsing and added support for colon-separated values (DD:MM:SS.)
- iPhone and iPod touch (2nd generation)
- Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
- 1.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Observation 1.3 is available in the United States and Canada for $4.99 (USD/CAD) exclusively on the App Store in the Utilities category. Promo codes are available for qualified reviewers.