Yazsoft today is proud to announce Playback 1.5, a major update to
their popular zero configuration media server for Mac OS X. With a
focus on ease-of-use, Playback allows anyone to share their media with
any Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or other supported UPnP compatible device.
Playback can also share media stored in folders or even make entire
disks available to a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. No configuration
required. Version 1.5 brings a highly anticipated feature to PS3/Xbox
users – built-in HD MKV support to all PS3/Xbox users without the use
of messy and resource hogging transcoding.
Playback is engineered for extreme performance, while at the same
time delivering a streamlined design with unparalleled reliability and
stability. By default, it will share almost any content on the users
system. And Playback automatically integrates with iTunes, iPhoto,
Aperture, Adobe Lightroom 2, Photobooth, and EyeTV too, making it a
perfect complement to Apple’s iLife Suite. Users can share all content
from these applications transparently or choose specific playlists and
Those who like to tinker will appreciate Playback’s built-in Access
Control List (ACL) and bandwidth throttling. The ACL allows users to
control which devices have access to their media. Bandwidth throttling
limits the transfer rate from the computer to their UPnP device. This
allows others on the network to do other internet related activities,
such as surf the web and check their email.
Playback was engineered for extreme speed, while offering complete
control of shared content. Media is served via lighttpd, the same
rock-solid technology that powers YouTube, Wikipedia, and many other
popular sites. Playback sports many creature comforts as well,
including Growl notifications, Spotlight based searching, on-screen
thumbnails (powered by QuickLook), and much more. Playback even
includes a handy Status menu which conveniently displays live stream
* Streamlined design
* Unparalleled performance and stability
* Share movies, music, and pictures
* Built-in support for HD MKV files
* Transparent integration with iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, Photobooth, Adobe Lightroom 2 & 3, and EyeTV recordings
* Complete control of shared content
* Spotlight based searching
* Quicklook thumbnails for all media
* Bandwidth throttling
* ACL access
* Growl notifications
* Status menu with live stream info
* And much more
What’s changed in 1.5:
* New: Added built-in support for HD MKV Files.
* New: Added support for Aperture 3 & Aperture Faces.
* New: The user’s home folder is now included in "Share all of my disks" mode.
* New: The demo period has been reset for users who’ve tried Playback before.
* New: Dutch & Spanish localization.
* Updated: French & German localization.
* Fixed: Minor bug fixes & enhancements.
* Requires Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or later
* 47 MB Hard Drive Space
* Any Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or other supported UPnP compatible device
* Network connection (Gigabit recommended for HD)
Pricing and Availability:
Playback is offered at the low price of $15.00 (USD) for three (3)
licenses, and can be purchased from the Yazsoft website. A free 7 day
demo is also available for download.