App designed for revolutionary iPad delivers advanced interactive weather maps with unprecedented functionality
The Weather Channel (TWC), today announced The Weather Channel App for iPad is now Available on App Store. The app marries the best of TWC on mobile with the best of TWC on television to give consumers customized weather information at the tap of a finger, including an extensive index of maps, an enhanced video center and severe weather coverage alerts. The Weather Channel App for iPad is available to consumers at no charge courtesy of Toyota.
"The Weather Channel uses all the revolutionary functionality of iPad to combine the ‘lean-forward’ experience of mobile devices and the ‘lean-back’ experience of television viewing," said Cameron Clayton, vice president of mobile for The Weather Channel. "We’re thrilled to have developed an app for iPad that delivers so much utility to customers in such a beautiful and intuitive way."
The Weather Channel App for iPad takes full advantage of the innovative Multi-Touch iPad display to allow weather seekers to choose the most relevant forecast for them, and the larger screen size allows for enhanced viewing of numerous weather forecasts, maps and videos. The app also features future radar imagery in motion on a map, using proprietary TruPoint technology developed by The Weather Channel.
Additional features include the following:
- Weather forecasts in current, hourly, 15-minute, 36-hour or 10-day increments.
- Interactive maps with points of interest, and users can decide to display layers such as radar, clouds, UV index, rainfall, snowfall and more.
- Severe weather updates provide local and national alerts to keep users up to date with severe weather information.
- A video center with a large library of local, regional, national and international video clips for general and three-day forecasts by TWC meteorologists for multiple, saved locations.
- Social media integration includes direct access to The Weather Channel Twitter feed and tweets from meteorologists and severe weather experts.
The Weather Channel App for iPad is available at no charge from the App Store or at http://www.itunes.com/appstore/ .
The Weather Channel for iPhone and iPod touch has received almost 10 million downloads since its November 2008 launch and remains one of the most popular apps on the App Store.