Leading Research University Improves Campus Wide Reporting and Decision Making; Lowers IT Costs with Oracle BI.
- Florida State University (FSU), one of the nation’s elite research universities, is using Oracle® Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition Plus (Oracle BI Suite EE Plus) to track key metrics, analyze information and report against its Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise 9.0 system, Oracle announced today.
- With the implementation of Oracle BI Suite EE Plus, along with PeopleSoft Enterprise Performance Management, FSU is now able to:
- Consolidate its existing BI systems, saving an estimated $360,000 in license and maintenance fees as well as infrastructure and administrative support costs;
- Streamline IT resources dedicated to reporting by empowering campus power users and business analysts to produce their own reports with limited IT involvement;
- Reduce the amount of time research departments require to produce federal and statutory reports down to a week from a month;
- Deliver a consolidated view of all key financial information on a daily basis to its financial community enabling managers to manage the institution’s finances more proactively; and,
- Improve Human Resources (HR) reporting across the board enabling some departments to streamline HR processes by 50 percent.
- Roughly half of the University’s 12,000 employees interact with the Oracle BI system while 1,500 employees are active users.
FSU Replaces Third-Party and Legacy BI Systems with Oracle BI:
- Prior to adopting Oracle BI Suite EE Plus, FSU relied on multiple third-party BI vendor and legacy tools to report from its PeopleSoft Enterprise applications including the Financial Management and Human Capital Management modules.
- Faced with an inefficient report development process, poor reporting performance, and a high learning curve for mastering the BI tools, the University re-evaluated its solution.
- Following a vendor evaluation, FSU chose Oracle BI Suite EE Plus for its:
- Integration with a wide range of data sources and applications, including PeopleSoft Enterprise applications;
- Comprehensive BI functionality including interactive dashboard and pixel-perfect reporting capabilities;
- Scalability to thousands of users;
- Intuitive reporting capabilities requiring minimal end-user training; and,
- Support for Microsoft Office tools.
- FSU recently completed phase three of its BI project rolling out Sponsored Research Pre-Award and Sponsored Research Post-Award subject areas within Oracle BI Suite EE Plus. With more than $200 million in sponsored research, the University requires meticulous financial management, analysis and reporting of grants to help it meet Federal grant guidelines as well as to avoid overspend.
- In phase four, the University will move reporting of its legacy student information system to Oracle BI Suite EE Plus in addition to developing subject areas in Asset Management and Procurement.
”When FSU initiated its Oracle BI project, the goal was to get the rich operational data out of our transactional systems and into the business users hands in an efficient, useful and user friendly manner,” said Michael Barrett, Associate Vice President, Chief Information Officer, The Florida State University. “In meeting that goal, we’ve achieved time and cost savings, increased user productivity, and improved decision making at the University.”