New SSL VPN Solution Helps SMBs Defend Against Diverse, Web-Based Threats
SonicWALL, Inc., a leading secure network infrastructure company, today announced its SonicWALL SSL VPN 4.0 firmware release, bringing key new features to small- to mid-sized businesses (SMBs), including Web Application Firewall, Virtual Assist and simplified unified policy. SonicWALL remains committed to bringing sophisticated security capabilities to SMBs, and doing so within their budgets. The release of SonicWALL’s 4.0 firmware update enhances the SonicWALL SSL VPN product line, providing users with easy-to-use, flexible and innovative technology that provides secure corporate network access for distributed workforces.
Companies of all sizes need to provide secure network access to employees, customers and partners, no matter where the parties are located. This need is exacerbated by the proliferation of Web-based applications, as the Internet’s role as a critical platform for businesses and consumers has also made it a new threat vector of choice – and Web-based attacks are rising at an alarming rate. Designed to enable controlled network access for a distributed workforce, SonicWALL SSL VPN 4.0 is a cost-effective solution providing ease-of-management, and its Web Application Firewall detects and protects Web applications – including the SSL VPN appliance itself – from the latest Web-based attacks. In addition to helping to secure the corporate network, SonicWALL’s SSL VPN 4.0 firmware upgrade also helps organizations benefit from the elimination of deployment and ongoing maintenance costs.
"Over the past four years SonicWALL has provided industry-leading SSL VPN remote access solutions to organizations of all sizes, allowing SMBs to enjoy the same features and capabilities as larger enterprises," said Matthew Dieckman, Product Line Manager at SonicWALL. "SonicWALL’s new SSL VPN 4.0 is a milestone release that captures the benefits of our latest SSL VPN platforms and sets the stage for innovation in secure remote access for years to come. Our SSL VPN technology now provides SMBs with optimal control, flexibility and functionality at a price point that doesn’t compromise their budgets."
The SonicWALL SSL VPN 4.0 firmware upgrade, available for the SSL VPN 2000, SSL VPN 4000 and Secure Remote Access (SRA) 4200 appliances, includes the following new features:
- Web Application Firewall: a new subscription-based service that employs a dynamically updated signature database to protect against modern, Web-based threats. With the 4.0 release, the Web Application Firewall moves from a technology preview feature to a fully supported and licensable feature, that detects and protects Web applications from Web-based attacks – thereby reducing potential losses while complying with data protection compliance mandates.
- Virtual Assist: allows users to access their personal computers located outside the LAN of the SRA appliance. By installing the application on a Windows PC with Internet access, that computer becomes available for users access to view the desktop and have mouse/keyboard control (Windows only).
- NetExtender Re-architecture: the Windows NetExtender client has been redesigned with a new look and feel. The underlying technology now implements a custom-dialer that allows it to be launched from the Windows "Network Connections" menu. This user interface standardization across all SSL VPN clients creates a unified look and feel and the new technology supports domain login scripts.
- SNMP Support: SonicWALL SSL VPN devices will support Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) which will report remote access statistics. This feature facilitates network management for administrators as they can leverage standardized reporting tools.
- Unified Policy: all granular bookmarks and policies are now displayed on a single page, providing for a single place to manage all SSL VPN policies. This capability reduces the administrative overhead in configuring and troubleshooting policies in multiple locations.