Acer has released two new smartphones in the mid-range, the BeTouch E400 and NewTouch P400. The two models almost similar, they only differ in their operating system. While BeTouch runs on Android, the NexTouch P400 runs on Windows Mobile 6.5.3. This has everything that makes the success of smartphones: 3G network access, large touch screen of 3.2 inches (8.1 centimeters) diagonally, 3.2 megapixel camera, Wi-Fi, Web browser with Flash support, connection to the Microsoft Exchange corporate email, social networking preinstalled. Let’s see if this model is interesting
Acer is constant in the design of its smartphones: the case of the P400 is more restrained, with a black in the front and a soft-touch plastic at the back. Opening the back cover to insert a microSD card is very difficult without nails. The same thing is while removing the battery to insert the SIM card.
The screen offers a definition of 320 x 480 pixels. It is the only strong point. While it is tactile, but the technology used (resistive screen) makes the use of a stylus, it lacks precision when used with a finger. As for its quality, if there is brightness, with 347 cd/m², contrast and viewing angles becomes very poor. You will not be able to see anything under the sun!
Always for ergonomics hand, P400 has on/off button, a button to adjust the volume, and also button to take a photo or video. And also there are four touch-sensitive keys below the screen, but there are so sensitive that they often get active and result in error. A good point, however, about the button on the home page is that it changes color when you have a missed call or received an e-mail.
The Acer runs Windows Mobile 6.5.3. This is the latest version of the operating system until the release of Windows Mobile 7, in the month of October. Unfortunately, the system takes quite a blow against old Android 2.1 of Google, and iOS4 of Apple.
It moves with great difficulty between menus and sub-folders, sometimes windows look older then Windows Mobile 6.0 displaying cryptic messages. The management of the system parameters is quite complicated, even if Acer has introduced fast access to the battery management, sound or wireless network directly by a retractable banner at the top of the homepage of the phone.
The integrated browser is Internet Explorer 6, slower and less ergonomic then Opera, Safari or the Android browser. The P400 has a low download speed (911 Kbps) and high sensitivity (-98.5 dBm) to capture the GSM network.
Like any smartphone, the P400 offers advanced multimedia features. It made pictures and videos with its 3.2-megapixel sensor. Unfortunately, the results are not very compelling. The image lacks color and sharpness, especially the dark scenes.
The video clips are recorded in 320 x 240 points only in 3GP format and not MPEG-4 as on many smartphones. At audio, headphones and built-in speaker is very poor, with a very low output power. However, playback video player offers good surprises, the P400 bed without the worry XviD and DivX (3 and 4) and WMV9, and a bad surprise, reading the other video formats crash the phone! We regret that the screen has a viewing angle as narrow and as low contrast. Taking a whole film in an achievement!
Social networking side, Acer has had the good idea to integrate direct access to Blogger, Facebook, Flickr and YouTube, not to mention Windows Live Messenger. The phone is powered by a battery of 1000 mAh with a somewhat self-correct, or 4 hours and 21 minutes of video playback and 5 hours and 17 minutes in communications.
- Super slim design: The 12mm super-slim Acer neoTouch P400 with its stylishly smooth front featuring Acer’s all-new signature design home ring combines class, style and sophistication with extreme simplicity and instant functionality.
- Smooth User interface: The Acer neoTouch P400 features the latest version of Windows® Mobile 6.5.3 with optimized touch controls to produce a finger-based navigation experience very few other phones can match with everything you need within just a few flicks of the finger.
- Ultra sharp 3.2” touch screen: The large 3.2” high-definition (HVGA) touch screen offers rich, vibrant colors and ultra-sensitive precision. Instantly launch your favorite applications, flick through your contacts or check and respond to your business mail – now faster than ever!
- Fast web browsing: The neoTouch P400 comes with Internet Explorer 6 Mobile with Flash support, making it easier than ever to enjoy high quality browsing and media viewing as well as taking care of your life and your business from just about anywhere you go. With Internet Explorer 6 Mobile on your neoTouch P400 you can switch between column and full screen formats, log in to secure sites, make purchases, fill out and submit forms online as effortlessly as you would on your PC.
- Easy back-up & Automatic Synchronization: The neoTouch P400 offers easy back-up & automatic wireless and web-based synchronization with your netbook or notebook, allowing you to easily manage your Contacts & Calendar and documents across all your Acer devices. Life’s so much better in Sync..
- Home ring with smart backlighting: The neoTouch P400 features Acer’s new signature design Home Ring button with smart LED lighting that flashes in different colors to let you know when a message has arrived, if you missed a call or whether the battery is low.
- Productive business suite of applications: The neoTouch P400 features a complete set of productivity applications including Mail, Microsoft Exchange Server Support and Microsoft Office Mobile applications so you can control your entire office and much, much more with a single finger, no matter where you are.
- Windows Media Player 10: Your life isn’t all work, it’s also a mix of images, video and music and the Acer neoTouch P400 is a great place to store them and enjoy them. Simply fire up Windows Media Player 10 and your music, video clips and pictures are instantly ready to captivate you.
- Connected Contacts: Prepare yourself for a whole new level of instant communication with Acer connected contacts. Add your friends’ Flickr & Blogger accounts to their contact details. Whenever they update anything about themselves or any other information on these pages, you’ll know almost instantly.
- Spinlets: Spinlets is a completely free streaming service that lets you browse and listen to great music from a growing number of major music labels and record companies and instantly post what you find to your favorite Social Networking sites.
- Stream YouTube videos: The Acer neoTouch P400 comes with a dedicated YouTube application built right in, so you can search for more than just text and images on the move. And thanks to the combination of a high-definition screen and 3G+ and Wi-Fi connectivity, you can now find and stream videos in seconds.
- Windows Marketplace: In addition to the exceptional standard applications, the Acer neoTouch P400 also provides instant access to the Windows Marketplace, so you whenever you need a new application, game or just a software update, you’re just a tap or two away.
- Windows Mobile 6.5.3: The Acer neoTouch P400 brings style and simplicity to the smartphone world and bridges the gap between work and play with the latest release of Windows Mobile 6.5.3. Designed to seamlessly sync with your PCs, the neoTouch P400 is the perfect way to put your business in the palm of your hand.
- Microsoft Office Mobile Suite: With the full Microsoft Office Mobile Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote as well as full Microsoft Exchange support, the neoTouch P400 is ready for all your business needs no matter where you are.
- 3G+, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity built in: The Acer neoTouch P400 is ready to open your world to the endless possibilities of real mobile Internet. With 3G+, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity built in, you can browse the web, keep check of vital business information and update your social networks whenever you feel like it.
- Standard audio jack: The standard 3.5mm audio jack means you can use your favorite headphones to get the most from music, podcasts and other media stored on your Acer neoTouch P400, and why not, even use them to take calls in full privacy.
- Powerful Processor: The Acer neoTouch P400 uses the powerful yet extremely efficient Qualcomm 7227 processor running at 600 MHz so not only do you get smooth, instant access to web pages, media streaming and other applications, but also unrivalled energy efficiency for increased battery life.
- 3.2MP Camera with Geo – tagging: The Acer neoTouch P400 features a 3.2-megapixel digital camera mounted on the rear complete with geo-tagging capabilities capable of taking crystal clear pictures thanks to filters and an anti-shake option, which can then be sent directly to your contacts or shared on social networking sites. Perfect for turning unexpected moments into unforgettable ones.
- Software & Applications: Operating System: Windows Mobile 6.5.3; Messaging: Universal Inbox: SMS, MMS, email; Email: Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail; IM Client: Windows Live Messenger Pushed Info: MSN Weather, MSN Money; Browser: Internet Explorer 6; Search: Bing; Social Networking: Facebook, Blogger, Flickr
- Bing Search: The Acer neoTouch P400 features Bing, the revolutionary new search engine from Microsoft. Bing takes a fresh new approach to search to help you make better decisions while on the move by focusing initially on four key user tasks and related areas: making a purchase, planning a trip, researching or finding a local business.
- Memory and storage: The Acer neoTouch P400 accepts microSD cards and can support up to 32GB. With that much memory on tap, there’s almost no limit to the digital media you can take with you.
- Micro-USB slot for charging: The neoTouch P400 uses a Micro-USB slot for charging, in line with the latest standards for all data-enabled mobile phones. Not only does this make it far easier to find a battery charger, but it’s also a significantly greener approach to power management.
- Find your way with GPS-enabled Google Maps: The Acer neoTouch P400 features assisted GPS for faster location times as well as Google Maps complete with Latitude, Street View, Traffic and POI search. Now you’ll always know what’s around you, how to find it, and the fastest way to get there. Traffic, POI search, Google Maps and Street View are country specific.
- Battery-Life: Talk Time: Up to 5 hours; Standby Time: Up to 400 hours; 1090 mAh battery
Size and Weight
- Height: 115 mm
- Width: 59.3 mm
- Weight: 125g
- Depth: 12 mm
Despite its fairly aggressive pricing, this smartphone is not convincing. It lacks responsiveness, poor picture and sound, with screen not very sensitive; not to mention Windows Mobile which is a handicap. Better to opt for a model with Android, the Samsung Galaxy 3 or HTC Legend, or for a Bada mobile, like the new Samsung Wave.
- Good camera
- Good sound quality
- Slim size
- no HSCSD support